Writers losing interest due to a lack of feedback?

Want to talk about transformation of any sort? Not covered by one of the subforums ("looking for", linkage, etc.) detailed below? Here's your place to do it!

Writers losing interest due to a lack of feedback?

Postby tfrmer » Fri May 04, 2018 7:34 pm

I usually try to reach out to writers here through private messaging and rarely respond to their posts, but perhaps I should. I would just like to get a show of hands from writers here on stories they lost interest in or cut short due to a lack of perceived interest in hopes of getting members here to be more active in their appreciation to stories they enjoy.

I've probably also brushed over a good deal of stories on this site that don't post any key words in their titles. Perhaps I'd be interested in the story, but without key words or a brief synopsis in the first post I'll likely skim it and potentially overlook something that may have interested me.
tfrmer

Re: Writers losing interest due to a lack of feedback?

Postby bit » Fri May 04, 2018 9:08 pm

Last edited by bit on Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bit

Postby Theacds » Sat May 05, 2018 11:24 am

I've definitely felt a lack of motivation when I feel my stories don't get comments. And while I know that people out there read it, and I'm sure some of them might even like it, I have a hard time posting followup unless I know it's gonna be worth something to someone.

Otherwise, I'll just write stuff for myself and keep it offline.
Someone sent me a note on DeviantART sayin' they missed me, so if there's somehow any fans out there I wanna let you know I'm writing all sorts of cracy shit at https://www.deviantart.com/theacds !!
Theacds
Transformation Master

Postby EFHRJ » Sat May 05, 2018 11:37 pm

I would say that real life is a large part of why stories gets abandoned.

I've seen countless writers say they basically want to do stuff but their jobs have essentially eaten up all their free time.
EFHRJ

Postby Matt L. » Sun May 06, 2018 3:39 pm

Some years ago Greinskyn informed me that 1 out of 100 people comment on stories.
I enjoy writing and The Changing Mirror is the exclusive site for my fiction stories - I have a film appreciate page on Facebook -
and there are people who do share feedback and even if they don't the views are numbered thus if I didn't have an audience it would be reflected in the stats. Some of my stories are more popular than others - domestic housewife transformation doesn't seem as popular as nerd transformation but there are indeed people out there who enjoy my stuff and I'll continue writing and sharing my manuscripts on this page as long as I have an audience.

Cheers, Matt
Matt L.
Transformation Grand Master

Postby Blackbeen » Mon May 07, 2018 6:15 am

I've lost interest in attention starved writers, actually I never had in the first place.
Blackbeen

Postby tfrmer » Mon May 07, 2018 6:48 am

Blackbeen wrote:I've lost interest in attention starved writers, actually I never had in the first place.

What does this mean? I don't think any writers here have been openly complaining about a lack of attention. With some of the ones that don't get it or have to wait a long time for it I know a few of them have just slowed their work or discontinued it entirely.
tfrmer

Postby Blackbeen » Mon May 07, 2018 9:57 am

tfrmer wrote:
Blackbeen wrote:I've lost interest in attention starved writers, actually I never had in the first place.

What does this mean? I don't think any writers here have been openly complaining about a lack of attention. With some of the ones that don't get it or have to wait a long time for it I know a few of them have just slowed their work or discontinued it entirely.

More on FF for about, at least, every other writer to beg for validation, I only brought it up here due to the subject line, personal peeve.
Blackbeen

Postby her revenge » Mon May 07, 2018 4:12 pm

This is a really interesting question. Do authors write for enjoyment or validation? Personally write for the enjoyment of doing so, but having said that I think it's only human nature to enjoy positive feed back. If you've spend several hours on a story and then somebody posts a positive comment it feels good and I for one do not feel like I've sold out in any way for feeling that way.

I think the best way to look at it is, enjoy the good ones, ignore the bad ones, but always write for the enjoyment of the craft!
HR
her revenge

Postby Matt L. » Mon May 07, 2018 4:18 pm

Well said!
Matt L.

Next

Return to General Transformation Talk