Old (rapid Age Progression)

Aware of a transformative element in a television show, film/movie, book, comic book, or some other non-Internet source? Let us know about it here!

Old (rapid Age Progression)

Postby Scrape » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:28 am

New film by M. Night Shyamalan coming out in a few weeks. Personally, I think Shyamalan's movies are extremely hit or miss, but the concept behind this one looks genuinely interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4U2pMRV9_k

I belive it's based on a French graphic novel called Sandcastle.
Scrape

Re: Old (rapid Age Progression)

Postby canton » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:25 am

That is in fact the graphic novel it's supposed to be based off of. I've read it. Everything I've heard or seen of the movie lines up - which leaves me sincerely uneasy any time someone mentions it or mentions Shyamalan.

See, there's already a "twist" of sorts in the story. At least as far as subverting expectations go. I don't want to spoil it since I assume the movie is going to stick to the same plot, but I will say this:

It's French. It's a horror story. Brace for ennui and body horror, not a fun time.
canton

Postby catfish » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:29 pm

Scrape wrote:New film by M. Night Shyamalan coming out in a few weeks.

This coming weekend, actually (in the U.S., at least) -- official opening date is July 23, with showings at some theaters the evening of the 22nd.

It would be good if M. Night Shyamalan is sticking to source material that already has a twist in it, rather than trying to think of his own twists.
catfish
Transformation Master

Postby Scrape » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:18 am

It would be good if M. Night Shyamalan is sticking to source material that already has a twist in it, rather than trying to think of his own twists.

True. When he tries to play auteur he sometimes fail spectacularly. Lady in the Water is still some of the most awkward stuff I've seen.

I've read a short synopsis of the original story, and I'm kinda impressed if he stays true to origin. I mean, it even deals with the transformation of little kids.
Scrape

Postby Daguss » Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:59 pm

Anyone have any AP clips yet? Saw a pregnancy expansion in the trailer, from where one of the kids grows up, and apparently goes into labor.
Daguss
Transformation Master

Postby catfish » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:07 pm

Daguss wrote:Anyone have any AP clips yet? Saw a pregnancy expansion in the trailer, from where one of the kids grows up, and apparently goes into labor.

Sorry, I actually did see this in a movie theater and forgot to follow up in this thread. There are no clips because there's no on-screen transformative process. It's all along the lines of "hey, where are the kids?", and cut to the kids being suddenly older.

Also, I'm told that there is a twist in the movie that's original to the screenplay (not in the graphic novel) -- I guess M. Night Shyamalan just couldn't resist.
catfish
Transformation Master

Return to Transformation in Media