Does a story have to have a 'happy' ending to be erotica?

A place for help and advice on your writing, and finding beta readers and editors.

Does a story have to have a 'happy' ending to be erotica?

Postby Tang » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:57 am

I have a sense that I could guess at some of the responses I might get to this question on this particular forum. It was stimulated by a 2-star review of my book on Amazon, 'Stepping into Gina's World'. The book sees a letting agent, Georgina, who fantasises about being a prostitute for a sexual buzz, being sent a pair of thigh-high boots. Wearing them shifts her into an alter ego, i.e. Gina, who is a prostitute in the same town and indeed might be a version of her who had had some alternate turns in the road. Georgina fluctuates between trying to shake off this alter ego and indulging in it, until in the end the choice is made for her and she ends up fully becoming Gina.

Now, the review condemned the book as not being erotic because Georgina becoming Gina for good, given prostitutes' lives, is not a happy ending. I just wondered what people's views here might be on that as it is the first time that I have had one of my erotic books slated for not being erotic! That is despite the numerous sex scenes of different kinds in it. Does a story need a 'happy' ending to be erotica? If not, how do I alert readers like this reviewer that this is a different kind of book to what might turn them on?
Tang
Transformation Master

Re: Does a story have to have a 'happy' ending to be erotica

Postby daelon » Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:59 pm

The short answer is no. The ending needs to be one you enjoy. You won't make everyone happy all the time. Some of my favorite erotica has identity death and characters ending up worse off in many ways from how they started. Some of it doesn't, and instead has the characters ending up significantly better and happier than they started.Write what you enjoy.
daelon

Postby GraceFairway6 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:05 am

In general, I'd say no, providing the ending fits the story. I have no real preference for happy or downbeat endings, as long as they're a natural or sensible endpoint after what has come before. I've read a few stories that have ended happily with a tacked-on positive ending, but it didn't feel right, and that took me out of the whole thing. For your story specifically (which comes highly recommended), I thought the ending was an effective and organic one that works well - I don't really understand what the negative reviewer was thinking, but I guess it takes all sorts!
GraceFairway6
Transformation Grand Master

Postby obviousagent » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:43 am

I have to agree with the above comments posted, There does not need to be a happy ending in erotica, as long as it fits the story a bad end is perfectly fine, in fact I prefer it usually.
Grace, makes the point far more eloquently than I can.
As Daelon said write what you enjoy, if people are worried or you think it matters do a preface to the story.
obviousagent

Postby DrZaaijer » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:12 pm

I haven't read your book. But, what does a happy ending have to do with erotic? I personnally think that erotic stories shouldn't have a happy ending. Especially in the transformation space. Being naughty is a good part of eroticism thus why would I want a happy ending.

I have always thought of it this way, (at least from transformation stories which is what this site is about) if it has a happy ending, it's Disney and family friendly. If it doesn't that is what makes it a sex story. I mean, look at Freaky Friday, it has a happy ending, thus who calls it erotic. Leave them trapped as each other, that makes all the difference in the world.

Think about it, how many 'erotic' stories end, and they lived happily ever after?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you like my work and want to see more of it go to http://cowdance.com/Main%20Menu.php. From there you can support me on Patreon. My name on Patreon is itsmetoo.
DrZaaijer

Postby Tang » Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:04 am

Dr. Zaaijer - thank you this has been useful. Despite that early review which was from someone who had enjoyed my stories with a more 'empowering' ending, this one has actually turned out to be a good seller and I have ideas for a third book in this rather loose 'series'. It is clear, as you say, that there are TF readers, who like the characters to remain changed.
Tang
Transformation Master

Postby jsmt » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:52 am

Eroticism is very different from one person to another, and I believe that writers should write what they personally enjoy and readers who feel alike would find their way to their stories. That said, as you are persuing also a commercial success, let me tell you my very personal point of view.

Dark endings and bad choices are my favorites as a reader and as a writer. I would most probably enjoy your book as it develops a theme that I find erotic and that I portray in some of my own stories. But I accept that certain stories are narrated with too much realism for my tastes, depicting for example serious addictions and their real consequences, or depicting the destruction of the personality, even loss of empathy to their own family. Those elements could be justified and important in a serious drama but that kind of realism usually makes me feel uncomfortable as our natural human empathy made us feel sad for the character and that is a turnoff (for me).

I read my paragraph, and I think, "umm, I have enjoyed stories with some of those elements," but also I have stopped reading many others. Maybe the difference is the focus and the tone that the author gives to his/her narration. For example, it is easier for me to enjoy the story if it is implied that the character has now the sexual fulfillment that she always dreamed of, even at that high cost, or if she on some level enjoys the cost itself. On the other hand, if the focus of the narration is telling the reader that the character took that decision and she will be a Zombie addict and will be sick with aids in two years, well that kills all the joy and pulls me out of fantasyland into a cruel reality and It kills the eroticism of the narration for me.
jsmt
Transformation Master

Postby Adobeman10 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:34 am

I love JSMT's stories-especially the comeuppance where the arrogant female gets a sort of writing of the wrong. I dont want murder/death/etc. as a bad ending. But an 'adjusted' life that the main character realizes what they had and what they lost and lose something of theirs. That to me is my erotica/ending. I dont like the 'happy' endings where everyone skips around playing zipadee doodah whatever. But The Tennis story and the character losing their breast size are two of my all time favorites- I hope you have more like that in the future.
Adobeman10

Postby ssj3gohan007 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:13 pm

Yeah, I also loved JSMT's Going the Extra Mile and The Flirtation Game, and hope for more stories like that. As the others have mentioned, an erotic story doesn't need to have a happy ending but it also shouldn't make us feel too sad or disgusted about her fate. The goal is for the reader to find it "hot", but it's also impossible to please everyone as people's opinions and fetish's differ. So just write what you want to write and try to find a balance that works well and accomplishes your goals.
ssj3gohan007

Postby Weirdy_Green » Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:28 pm

*Honestly, I think erotica is more notorious for having Downer Endings, especially Japanese/French stuff.

*Edited
Weirdy_Green

Return to Writing Advice