Descriptions

A place for help and advice on your writing, and finding beta readers and editors.

Descriptions

Postby Roak123 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:46 pm

I'm trying to write the actual transformation part of the story better. I don't think I'm descriptive enough, but when I do I throw to many adjectives in and it starts to sound stupid. Any one have any advice?
Roak123

Re: Descriptions

Postby avocat27 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:16 pm

Could you give us some context about the story itself?
avocat27
Transformation Master

Postby catfish » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:20 pm

I think if you have an example of something you've written that you think is not descriptive enough, or something you think is too descriptive, we'd probably better be able to provide advice.
catfish
Transformation Master

Postby Roak123 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:10 pm

This is a link to my blog for the stories https://bbwexpierence.blogspot.com/?m=1. I just don't feel like my descriptions can really flesh out the stories.
Roak123

Postby Tigerharpy » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:12 pm

You seem to be making a mistake that is common for a lot of writers which is where you try to describe a scene as if its taking place in a movie or in front of a camera or in a comicbook. Unless you can afford a film crew, some actors, and an effects guy to do a digital morph. Or you can commission an artist. These are not good ways to use you words.

You have to think of capturing the description in the same way a painter does when they create an image. Not by precisely recreating it, but by creating an impression of it and allowing the readers imagination to fill things in. Sometime this means using lots of adjectives. It also means experimenting with what words you use. Sometime just the sound of a different word, even a synonym can have a powerful invocation.

Remember, this is inherently a very indulgent, I'm going to call it a genre, so don't shy away from purple prose.
Tigerharpy

Return to Writing Advice