increasing reader engagement

A place for help and advice on your writing, and finding beta readers and editors.

increasing reader engagement

Postby animefan78 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:07 pm

As the title says how can the writer increase the reader engagement with the story so that the author does not feel like they are casting a story into the water that is the internet wondering when or if they might get the metaphorical bite. Yes, I know there is the view count but that also counts as engagement as you need the view to get the like or favorite (not options here but they exist elsewhere). Then of course there is the be all and end all of engagement, the sometimes elusive comment.

So I guess the first question is what can you do in the title to increase the chance that a person will click on and at least give the story a chance.

Then the second is, what can an author do to encourage readers to leave a comment. I know youtubers will often ask in the video to like comment or subscribe. Does the translate to the written media, or is there something else that could be done. If such a thing is even possible.
animefan78
Transformation Grand Master

Re: increasing reader engagement

Postby GeneGenie » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:48 pm

A small blurb at the beginning of each chapter can help you have a conversation with your audience and invite feedback and comments directly. Also reply to comments to help your readers know it was worth their time is always a good tactic too. A blurb can also give your readers an idea of what to expect (is it a short story or a shown burn etc).

I think inviting readers to speculate on where the story will go next is fun as well. You don’t always have to follow their suggestions, but I’ve been inspired by plenty of comments and its helped develop my story, as well as make it more interesting for the reader.

As for a good title, I have no idea. I think outlining the kinks / transformations you’re covering is a good start. Then you know your audience should be engaged in your story as it’ll scratch their particular itch!

Hope this helps a bit!
It’s me, Hi, I’m the problem it’s me.
GeneGenie
Transformation Master

Postby GraceFairway6 » Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:15 am

Hey animefan,

I think GeneGenie has given some great advice - definitely encouraging reader engagement is a strong way forward, although I suppose that doesn't great people reading in the first place. It's a pain, really, but often it is just hitting and hoping - I know that my first story was a blind hope, because it was in a sub-genre (goth transformation) that people weren't writing, and so I had no idea if anyone would ever actually look at it!

Tags are both a good and bad thing, in terms of getting readers. They let your readers know what to expect, but then they will immediately alienate a whole sub-section of people who have little or no interest in the kinks and themes of the story (in my case, things like weight gain stories do absolutely nothing for me). But they can also give you a sense of what's popular - if one of your interests aligns with the kinks that the community like, running with that may be a good way to find a wider audience.

On titles, I quite like ones that have double meanings. High-Class Hooker is both linked to the fact that Lady Veronica is an upper-class woman who becomes a hooker, and a slightly ironic comment on the fact she's transformed into a low-class whore. My current Catching Up with Chloe plays on both Jessica's chance meeting with Chloe, and a general catch-up, as well as the fact that she then starts chasing (or 'catching up#') with Chloe's own career progression. I don't know if that appeals to any of my readers, but it does to me!
GraceFairway6

Postby animefan78 » Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:23 am

GeneGenie wrote:A small blurb at the beginning of each chapter can help you have a conversation with your audience and invite feedback and comments directly. Also reply to comments to help your readers know it was worth their time is always a good tactic too. A blurb can also give your readers an idea of what to expect (is it a short story or a shown burn etc).

I think inviting readers to speculate on where the story will go next is fun as well. You don’t always have to follow their suggestions, but I’ve been inspired by plenty of comments and its helped develop my story, as well as make it more interesting for the reader.

As for a good title, I have no idea. I think outlining the kinks / transformations you’re covering is a good start. Then you know your audience should be engaged in your story as it’ll scratch their particular itch!

Hope this helps a bit!

Yes this does help. I will try to add something of an author's note to the beginning as a short summary of the chapter. I do reply to comments but I do not always invite them to comment so I will try that. And I did add some tags to my latest work but them might still be a bit vague.
animefan78

Postby animefan78 » Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:28 am

GraceFairway6 wrote:Hey animefan,

I think GeneGenie has given some great advice - definitely encouraging reader engagement is a strong way forward, although I suppose that doesn't great people reading in the first place. It's a pain, really, but often it is just hitting and hoping - I know that my first story was a blind hope, because it was in a sub-genre (goth transformation) that people weren't writing, and so I had no idea if anyone would ever actually look at it!

Tags are both a good and bad thing, in terms of getting readers. They let your readers know what to expect, but then they will immediately alienate a whole sub-section of people who have little or no interest in the kinks and themes of the story (in my case, things like weight gain stories do absolutely nothing for me). But they can also give you a sense of what's popular - if one of your interests aligns with the kinks that the community like, running with that may be a good way to find a wider audience.

On titles, I quite like ones that have double meanings. High-Class Hooker is both linked to the fact that Lady Veronica is an upper-class woman who becomes a hooker, and a slightly ironic comment on the fact she's transformed into a low-class whore. My current Catching Up with Chloe plays on both Jessica's chance meeting with Chloe, and a general catch-up, as well as the fact that she then starts chasing (or 'catching up#') with Chloe's own career progression. I don't know if that appeals to any of my readers, but it does to me!

Yes, she did give some good advice. I have tried some lesser used genres but had less success.

I do think that you are right about tags. Though I find most of the popular ones are not my thing, but I'm up for a challenge. I tend to be a simpler in titles but I can try something a bit fancier.
animefan78

Return to Writing Advice