Writers losing interest due to a lack of feedback?

Want to talk about transformation of any sort? Not covered by one of the subforums ("looking for", linkage, etc.) detailed below? Here's your place to do it!

Re: Writers losing interest due to a lack of feedback?

Postby animefan78 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:00 am

Tigerharpy wrote:
It's worth mentioning this, but as much as people insist they write for their personal enjoyment. And as much as this may be true. Complete radio silence in regards to a story isn't just a lack of external validation, it's a sort of invalidation. It's the equivalent of a room full of people simply starring at you silently after giving a public speech. That's just the way human psychology works.

I couldn't agree more with this. The invalidation is a hard hurdle to overcome and work past.
animefan78
Transformation Grand Master

Postby setebos » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:06 am

I decided that if I liked a story enough to read it to the end I should at the very least leave a comment, I don't know how important it might be to a specific author but if one author gets something positive from an extra supportive comment I'll be happy
setebos

Postby Tigerharpy » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:23 pm

setebos wrote:I decided that if I liked a story enough to read it to the end I should at the very least leave a comment, I don't know how important it might be to a specific author but if one author gets something positive from an extra supportive comment I'll be happy

For some writers its not just validation but participation and feedback. The sense of shared excitement for an idea. Depending on the writer, getting ideas or thoughts about a scene from readers can be a real shot in the arm. Even if the advice isn't uniformly positive.

I personally don't necessarily use many of the thoughts and idea that readers give me directly. But they do go into the churnch and probably have come out elsewhere in some little way.
Tigerharpy

Postby animefan78 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:54 am

Tigerharpy wrote:
setebos wrote:I decided that if I liked a story enough to read it to the end I should at the very least leave a comment, I don't know how important it might be to a specific author but if one author gets something positive from an extra supportive comment I'll be happy

For some writers its not just validation but participation and feedback. The sense of shared excitement for an idea. Depending on the writer, getting ideas or thoughts about a scene from readers can be a real shot in the arm. Even if the advice isn't uniformly positive.

I personally don't necessarily use many of the thoughts and idea that readers give me directly. But they do go into the churnch and probably have come out elsewhere in some little way.

In my mind the validation, feedback, and participation by means of comments in a huge motivator or at least it is for me. I find it much easier to write the stories where I have even a small modicum of feedback. In my mind that positive validation can be a tremendous motivator. And I should practice what I preach leaving more comments on the stories I like.
animefan78

Postby DrZaaijer » Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:31 pm

It seems even your best fans don't comment, which drives me nuts. I created a patreon and in the last 3 months I have had more patreons than commenters on the stories wrote during that time. Very few even just click the like button, let alone have detailed comments. And remember these have to be my best fans as they are willing to pay money to read my stories, but they in general still don't comment.

I even messaged them all and asked them, OK what do you want my next story to be about and I only got a couple of comments.

It is what it is, what are you going to do?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you like my work and want to see more of it go to http://cowdance.com/Main%20Menu.php. From there you can support me on Patreon. My name on Patreon is itsmetoo.
DrZaaijer

Postby animefan78 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:18 am

itsme wrote:It seems even your best fans don't comment, which drives me nuts. I created a patreon and in the last 3 months I have had more patreons than commenters on the stories wrote during that time. Very few even just click the like button, let alone have detailed comments. And remember these have to be my best fans as they are willing to pay money to read my stories, but they in general still don't comment.

I even messaged them all and asked them, OK what do you want my next story to be about and I only got a couple of comments.

It is what it is, what are you going to do?

Very true, there is not much that can be done about it. That said do you think the nature of the stories we write discourages commentary for fear of being found commenting on such things, despite the anonomity of the internet.
animefan78

Postby DrZaaijer » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:48 am

Very true, there is not much that can be done about it. That said do you think the nature of the stories we write discourages commentary for fear of being found commenting on such things, despite the ananomity of the internet.

Definitely, until I started to write, I never posted comments anywhere. I certainly never associate my real name with with my posts or comments.

For those that do comment, the stories have to be really good or really bad to comment. I don't mean that in the 'quality' sense. Some stories really appeal to particular people and if the story is really good, they may comment. If the story has potential but falls short to them they may comment. But if the story was OK or not good but not so terrible, then people may just say on the good side why bother and on the bad side, why discourage the author and don't say anything.

There is sometimes a strange comment, not saying why a story is good but just asking for a sequel. You write the sequel based upon a recommendation, and you don't get a comment on that. It seems just polite to comment on a sequel (or story) that you requested.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you like my work and want to see more of it go to http://cowdance.com/Main%20Menu.php. From there you can support me on Patreon. My name on Patreon is itsmetoo.
DrZaaijer

Postby Schlock_Ness_Monster » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:13 pm

Definitely, until I started to write, I never posted comments anywhere. I certainly never associate my real name with with my posts or comments.

I am still like this, despite having garnered some feedback.

But feedback is essential, not just on a level of validation, but in order to hone your craft. I wish more people understood that.
Schlock_Ness_Monster

Postby Chrystal Wynd » Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:23 pm

Schlock_Ness_Monster wrote:But feedback is essential, not just on a level of validation, but in order to hone your craft. I wish more people understood that.

This. Well said.
Chrystal Wynd

Postby Phil0110 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:13 pm

Totally agree, the same.
Phil0110

Previous

Return to General Transformation Talk