The Vacation (physical/mental AR to 20s)

Stories, stories, stories, stories, stories, stories, STORIES!
Forum rules
* Have the story title and the author's name in the subject line.
* Story tags are always appreciated.
* If an author has a forum, make sure to post there.
* Have line breaks between paragraphs.
* If you're posting someone else's stories, give them credit.
* Don't Like, Don't Read

The Vacation (physical/mental AR to 20s)

Postby EvitaReginae » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:15 pm

The Vacation (physical/mental AR)
By EvitaReginae

Part 1

Elaine and Marcus had been planning this getaway for months — a blissful weekend at a secluded cabin by the lake, a rare chance to escape the incessant bustle of daily life. As successful professionals, moments to reconnect without the pings of their smartphones or meetings dotting their calendars were precious. Elaine, with her sharp suits and sharper mind, had climbed the ranks at her firm, but since the kids had arrived, her ambitions were matched only by her worries.

Their home, usually brimming with the chaos of family life, was quiet today. Luggage lined the hallway, a testament to their impending adventure. Marcus, ever the optimist, was all grins as he zipped up the last of the bags, his thoughts on the peaceful weekend ahead. Elaine, however, couldn’t shake a niggling unease as she watched Jenny, their chosen babysitter, play a board game with Sophie and Max on the living room floor.

Sophie, eight, was fiercely independent, a trait she undoubtedly inherited from Elaine. Max, just five, with his mop of unruly curls, still needed that extra bit of coddling. Elaine trusted Jenny—really, she did—Jenny was responsible, beloved by the kids, and came highly recommended. Yet, as she observed from the doorway, her mind spun with ‘what-ifs’.

“Everything’s going to be fine, love,” Marcus said, coming up behind her and placing a reassuring hand on her shoulder. He could always sense her worry, his presence a steady comfort.

“I know,” Elaine replied, though her eyes remained fixed on Jenny and the kids. “It’s just the first time we’ve been away since... well, since Max was born.”

Marcus nodded. “I know, but Jenny’s got everything under control. Look at them, they’re having a blast. Plus, we’re only a phone call away if they need anything.”

Elaine let out a small sigh, allowing herself a moment to really watch her children. Sophie’s laughter filled the room, her joy infectious, and even Max seemed to have forgotten his initial clinginess to their mother. They were okay; they were more than okay.

“You’re right,” Elaine admitted, finally pulling her gaze away and smiling up at Marcus. “Let’s get going then. The sooner we leave, the sooner we can start relaxing.”

They loaded the car, and said their goodbyes to the kids and Jenny.

But before they could officially hit the road, there was one more stop to make—a secret visit to the old shed at the back of their garden. Tucked away behind an assortment of gardening tools and old paint cans, a metallic box gleamed under the dim light. Marcus lifted the lid with a grin, revealing what looked like an ordinary TV remote. Yet, this was no simple channel changer—it was their age-changing remote, a miraculous device that Marcus brother had sent them recently.

"Ready for a blast from the past?" Marcus teased, his eyes sparkling with anticipation.

"Absolutely," Elaine chuckled, the stress lines softening around her eyes as she took the remote from him. “Twenty years old sound good enough?”

Marcus rubbed his chin. That was sophomore year of college, when he and Elaine had been dating for a full year. He grinned thinking about how she had looked back then, ready to see his wife in her prime again.

He nodded.

Elaine pointed the remote at Marcus, finding the button labelled ‘Physical Minus’ and the air shimmered around him, particles of light dancing like fireflies in the twilight.

Elaine watched Marcus undergo his transformation, barely believing what she saw happening before her eyes. His slight paunch receded, muscles tautening under his shirt as if he were back in his rowing team days. His hair thickened, the tinges of gray at his temples vanishing, and his jawline sharpened—a return to the strikingly handsome young man she had met in college.

And there Marcus stood, looking just as he had at 20. Elaine bit her lip, having to admit that she had forgotten how handsome Marcus had looked in his prime.

“My turn,” she said cheerily, handing the remote over to Marcus.

He pointed the remote at her, and now it was her turn to shimmer. Elaine felt a tingling rush, from her toes up to her fingertips. She looked down at herself, witnessing the transformation. The added weight from years of motherhood and desk-bound job responsibilities melted away, revealing the slender figure she remembered from her twenties. Her skin regained its youthful elasticity and glow, erasing the tired lines etched by late nights and early mornings.

When it was done, she couldn’t resist the urge to catch her reflection in the shed's grimy window, surprised by the sight of her once familiar, now forgotten, athletic silhouette framed in the glass.

“Wow,” Marcus breathed out, his eyes wide as they took in each other’s rejuvenated forms. “I’d almost forgotten…”

Elaine laughed, a light, carefree sound she hadn’t heard from herself in years. “Me too,” she admitted, twirling around, her lighter frame moving with ease. “I feel incredible.”

They got dressed in the clothes they had stashed here for just this occasion, and couldn’t help but stare at each other a little more. Seeing their partner returned to their prime was awakening all sorts of long forgotten feelings for the two of them. Memories of a more passionate period, before they had married and settled down.

With a playful nudge, Marcus suggested, “Let’s not waste another minute then. We’re just two 20 year old college students about to leave on a romantic road trip, blasting music and planning adventures.”

Elaine nodded, caught up in the excitement, but as they tiptoed to the car, hoping that no one would see them, a familiar pang of anxiety tightened her chest. Her transformed appearance had not altered the maternal instinct deeply ingrained in her psyche. "Marcus, are you sure the kids will be alright with Jenny? It’s a whole weekend..."

Marcus, already behind the wheel, frowned slightly. "Elaine, we talked about this. They'll be fine. Jenny’s great with them, and we need this time together. Try to relax."

But Elaine’s worry proved stubborn. "I just... I keep thinking about all the things that could go wrong," she murmured, her hands unconsciously twisting the fabric of her shorts.

Marcus's excitement dimmed as he watched his wife's joy dissolve into fretfulness. In a moment of frustration, he reached for the age-changing remote still in his pocket. “Elaine, you need to remember what it’s like to not worry all the time. Let’s just reset for a bit, okay?”

Elaine opened her mouth to protest but before a single word got out, Marcus pointed the remote at her and pressed another button labelled ‘Mental Minus.’ A pulse of light enveloped her head, and when it faded, her eyes sparkled with a carefree gleam that he hadn’t seen in years.

Elaine giggled, a sound light and unburdened. She felt a bit disoriented, unsure of how exactly she got here. One minute, she was daydreaming about how to spend the summer of sophomore year, the next she was standing next to her boyfriend, in a car that seemed to be filled with luggage and snacks.

“Woah, how did I get here?” Elaine said. “Did I smoke too much or something?”

Marcus had almost forgotten about his wife’s little habit in college. Elaine had been a certified stoner in college, only giving up the habit when she had taken on an important government job that required regular drug tests. How the times changed!

“We’re about to go on a trip, silly!” Marcus said. “Don’t you remember?”

This was the first Elaine was hearing about a trip, but Elaine wasn’t the kind of girl who worried about things. She was always ready to go with the flow, and she smiled at her boyfriend, giving him a quick peck on the cheek and sitting down in the passenger seat.

And so their vacation was off.

“This car is much nicer than that old junker you usually drive,” Elaine said, rolling down her window, and throwing her feet up on the dashboard.

Marcus admired the way the wind blew his wife’s hair, and the smooth, slim legs he hadn’t seen for years, and smiled. There was no hint of his responsible and serious wife in the carefree girl sitting beside him. Mentally, physically she was exactly as he remembered her.

Marcus said, “Well, I decided to borrow something nicer for our little roadtrip to the lake.”

Elaine’s eyes lit up. “A lake? Ah, this is going to be so fucking romantic, babe!”

Marcus couldn’t help but start a bit hearing his wife curse. He had forgotten how loose-lipped she had been back in the day. Nowadays, she never cursed out of fear that the kids would hear.

“Yeah, I rented an amazing cabin. I know you’re going to love it!”

As their drive continued, Elaine’s laughter often filled the car, and Marcus sometimes had trouble focusing on the road instead of the vivacious young woman sitting beside him. As the scenery whisked by, he didn’t feel a single ounce of regret about his decision to regress her mind. They were going to have a grand old time, and when he returned her adult mind, she was going to thank him for giving her the most amazing vacation ever. He was sure of it!

“Ooh, we should try to score some weed!” Elaine said, after they had been travelling for some time. “Think anyone up in the mountains is gonna be able to hook us up?”

Marcus felt a moment of doubt. Would it be okay for his wife to indulge a bit for this trip?

But then he remembered hanging out with his stoner girlfriend in college. Her apartment just off campus filled with smoke, and her passing the bowl, wearing only a t-shirt and panties. God, he missed the girl from his memories, and it was crazy to think that she was back.

“Actually, I can do us one better,” he said.

He took an exit, and soon pulled up to the last weed dispensary before they hit the mountains.

“Woah, how does this place exist?” Elaine said, when they stepped inside.

Marcus smiled. The state had legalized weed a few years ago, and he had forgotten just how mind-blowing that idea would be to his college self. The budtender explained all of their products, and Marcus bought a few products that Elaine picked out.

When they got back to the car, Elaine asked Marcus if he wanted to gas up real quick.

“Uh, I’ve got to drive,” he said.

“When did you become such a wet sponge?” Elaine laughed. “Oh well, more for me!”

As they got back on the road, and headed into the mountains Elaine had taken a few puffs and was enjoying the mountain air in her hair. She was in the mood to dance in her little seat, and she pulled out her phone and then stared at it a bit confused.

Her phone was different from what she remembered. It was much bigger. She pressed the button on the side, and tried her usual password. She was relieved when it opened up, but all of the icons looked foreign to her, and she might have been *just* a bit too high to figure out how to get ot her music.

“Put on some Beyonce!” she complained. “I wanna dance.”

Marcus pulled over, and pulled up Spotify, and soon Elaine was having a grand old time wiggling in the seat next to him. As they sped down the highway, the radio blasting hits from their college days, Marcus glanced over at Elaine. Her hair whipped around her face, freed from its usual meticulous styling, her laughter infectious and light. She drummed her fingers on the dashboard, singing along with off-key abandon. Marcus couldn't help but smile — this was the Elaine he had fallen head over heels for at a campus party so many years ago.

He wondered how a guy like him had managed to settle down with a girl like this. A free spirit with her whole life ahead of her.

"Remember that time we ditched Professor Dalton's lecture to hit the beach?" Elaine asked, her eyes twinkling with mischief.

Marcus laughed. "How could I forget? We ended up sunburned and had to explain why we were both looking like lobsters in class the next day."

Elaine's laughter filled the car, but as it faded, a silence settled between them. Marcus realized something strange. He missed the conversations he usually had with his mature, adult wife. Sure, Elaine right now was stunning, and he had overall been enjoying this trip down memory lane, but he wasn’t actually a college student anymore. He had a job and a house, and he realized he missed the comfort and intimacy he had with Elaine.

He realized something was missing with this version of Elaine, and he was surprised it had taken him a few hours to realize it: This young girl hadn’t lived with him through more than a decade of partnership, weathering tragedy and sharing in his triumphs. Sure, she liked hanging out with him, and found him attractive, but in her mind they had only been together for a year, and Marcus realized that she took the relationship way less seriously.

To the mentally rejuvenated Elaine, Marcus was just her boyfriend. There was way less commitment there. But Marcus saw the gorgeous young woman as his soul mate. The love of his life.

They arrived at the cabin as the blanket of night enveloped the sky, the stars twinkling like tiny beacons guiding them to their weekend retreat. The structure stood serene against the backdrop of the dark forest, its wooden facade glowing under the moonlight. As Marcus parked the car, he felt a surge of excitement—a feeling he hadn't experienced since his carefree college days.

"Wow, look at this place!" Elaine exclaimed, her eyes wide as she surveyed their surroundings. "It's like something out of a movie."

"Right?" Marcus replied, his earlier reservations replaced by a bubbling enthusiasm. He grabbed their bags and led Elaine up the steps to the cabin. Once inside, they found it perfectly cozy, with a rustic charm that promised comfort and seclusion.

Elaine wandered to the large windows that showcased the lake shimmering under the moonlight. "Marcus, this is incredible. We should have done this years ago!"

Laughing, Marcus agreed, "Absolutely." He watched her as she bounced around the cabin, exploring every nook and cranny with childlike wonder. Her energy was infectious, and he found himself swept up in the excitement of having her so light spirited.

After settling in, they changed into their swimsuits. Marcus couldn't help but admire Elaine as she stepped out in a bikini, looking as stunning as the day he first saw her by the university pool. Her breasts were perkier than they had been in years, and Marcus couldn’t help but think that if his wife had been a few years later she could have made a killing on Intagram. The years had folded away, leaving her with the vibrant youthfulness that had first caught his eye.

"Let's hit the lake!" she called out, grabbing a towel and heading for the door.

Marcus followed, and they spent the late evening swimming under the stars. Marcus couldn’t believe how strong and agile he felt. Age had come at him little by little, and never given him the chance to directly compare, but as he swam and moved he couldn’t help but relish the return of his body at peak performance.

And he wasn’t the only one who noticed his stong, young body. It was clear Elaine was quite distracted by his athletic body. He kept catching her stealing glances at his abs and arms. Those looks were enough to make him think about how silly he was to worry about his wife’s lack of commitment to their relationship.

What they lacked in years of shared history, they more than made up for by having the sort of bodies that made it hard for them to keep their hands off of one another. The passion of young love was definitely worth experiencing once more, even if it meant no adult conversations with his wife for the weekend!

The water was cool, a refreshing embrace around them as they splashed and laughed, the sounds of their joy echoing off the water and into the night. It was like their world had contracted to just the two of them, young and free again.

As the night grew colder, they retreated to the warmth of the cabin, where Marcus built a fire. The crackling logs and the soft glow of the firelight created a perfect setting. They sat on the floor cuddled together under a large towel, their backs against the couch, sipping wine and sharing each others company.

“Isn't this just the best? I mean, can you imagine what it would be like to just drop everything and live by a lake like this forever?” Elaine said.

Marcus looked over at the love of his life, her hair still wet from the lake, her head resting on his shoulder, and realized that he had never seen her more beautiful than she was now.

He sighed. “It’s a nice thought, but you know, all our responsibilities would get in the way, it’s not really feasible.”

Elaine snuggled up to him. “Oh, right, the practical stuff. I guess I just think about escaping a lot. No plans, no schedules. This morning I didn’t even remember planning this trip with you. I just heard we were going on a trip, and I was ready to be whisked away by my prince charming.”

“I wish I could have experienced your version of this trip,” Marcus said, giving a wry smile. “All of this took so much planning. All the packing, renting the cabin - it was a lot.”

Elaine giggled. “Well, mister responsible. Did you bring my ukulele? Maybe I could play something for you later, lighten things up?”

Marcus hugged Elaine, smiling. He had almost forgotten about her ukulele. She had tried to teach herself how to play sophomore year, and given up after a few months. She had never been good, but he had always enjoyed watching her face when she played.

“I’m sad that I didn’t,” he said, his face getting closer to hers. “Music would be nice.”

They kissed.

Softly at first. He sensed an uncertainty in her.

He kissed her again, and this time she melted into him. Their kisses became hungry and passionate. Marcus reflected that it had been a long time since they had a moment like this. With kids, and busy jobs, they often went to bed exhausted and fell asleep without even a kiss good night.

His hand slid across her thigh and under her bikini bottoms.
Elaine moaned, and broke away.

She said, her face flushed, "I-, I'm sorry. Tonight has been amazing, but you know I want to save myself for marriage."

Marcus had to suppress the urge to laugh. Of course. 20 year old Elaine had been a virgin. He had completely forgotten that. He had been married to her for so long, he forgot sometimes that their story started out so differently.

He managed to rein his passions, and accept that he had done this to himself. He had been the one who had wanted to experience a younger version of his wife after all.
"You're right," he said, a little breathless. "Sorry."

He kissed her cheek, and she rested her head on his chest, listening to the beat of his heart, a soothing rhythm.

They stayed like that for a while, their bodies close, the warmth of the fire and the comfort of each other's presence creating a sense of contentment that neither of them wanted to end.

As the fire began to die down, Marcus felt Elaine's breathing become deeper and more regular, and he realized that she had fallen asleep.

Gently, he lifted her up and carried her to the bedroom. As he placed her on the bed, her eyes fluttered open.

"I had a great time tonight," she whispered.

Marcus smiled. "Me too."

As he leaned in to kiss her goodnight, he felt a moment of hesitation. He wondered if it wouldn't be better to use the remote on her and return her adult mind to her? Partly for selfish reasons (his wife wasn't a virgin, after all), partly because he missed his wife.

Marcus looked at Elaine, her features relaxed in the dim light of the dying fire. She was his Elaine, yet not—the young woman he had first fallen in love with, full of innocence and unspoken dreams. He felt a twinge of longing for the deeper connection they shared in their true present, a bond woven through years of shared experiences. It wasn't just about intimacy; it was about understanding and growth they had achieved together.

He reached over to the nightstand where the remote lay hidden under a pile of their clothes, a small, unassuming device that had the power to restore years of memories. His hand hovered, the weight of his decision pressing down on him. This young Elaine had reignited something in him, a spark he hadn’t realized was dimming. But the joy of their youthful vigor couldn’t replace the profound partnership he had come to depend on.

Taking a deep breath, Marcus picked up the remote. He watched Elaine's chest rise and fall with each peaceful breath, her face a canvas of tranquility. "I love you," he whispered, more to himself than to her. It was that love which made up his mind.

He pointed the remote at her and pressed the button, the soft click echoing slightly in the quiet room. Marcus expected to see the subtle shimmer around Elaine that indicated the device was working, but nothing happened. Confused, he pressed the button again, harder this time, his brow furrowing in frustration as there was still no change.

Elaine stirred slightly, mumbling something incoherent as she continued to sleep peacefully, oblivious to Marcus's growing concern. He flipped the remote over, opened the battery compartment, and his heart sank—a couple of corroded AA batteries lay inside, clearly drained.

"Great," Marcus muttered under his breath. He rummaged through his bag hoping to find spare batteries, but found none. A sense of helplessness washed over him. They were miles from the nearest store, deep in the woods, and completely off-grid. He was likely stuck with the youthful version of his wife until they could return home, at least if he didn't want to waste several hours of their weekend vacation chasing down AA batteries.

Sighing, Marcus set the useless remote aside and watched Elaine sleeping. The moonlight cast shadows that danced across her face, highlighting her youthful features that he had once fallen in love with at university. He couldn't help but smile, despite the situation. There were worse fates than being stuck with a 20 year old version of his wife for the weekend.
EvitaReginae

Re: The Vacation (physical/mental AR to 20s)

Postby Saitama » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:53 pm

Great start, can't wait to read more.
Saitama

Return to Stories