Can you be downgraded by the person you’re with?

Want to talk about transformation of any sort? Not covered by one of the subforums ("looking for", linkage, etc.) detailed below? Here's your place to do it!

Can you be downgraded by the person you’re with?

Postby Ecole1994 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:57 pm

Quick question, I’m curious about people’s thoughts. Is it still a downgrade story if the protagonist herself doesn’t actually undergo any negative physical or mental changes, but they end up in a serious relationship with someone where she’s totally out of their league? Like on a scale of 1-10, she’s an 8-9, and they’re more of a 3? And where they didn’t get together in some cutesy Hollywood romcom way, but rather she was manipulated/guilted/tricked into it, and now she’s “stuck” in a middling, not very satisfying rut of a relationship, still in her twenties, with no chance now to meet someone better? Is it still a downgrade tale if it’s just her love life that’s downgraded?
Ecole1994

Re: Can you be downgraded by the person you’re with?

Postby Lewdsmith » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:46 pm

Wouldn't consider it a transformation story.
Lewdsmith

Postby PilsburyDoughZoe » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:18 am

I like the premise of this.. change. maybe make it where the girl herself suffered a slight downgrade and someone set her up with this guy who's not attractive to her but she does it for her friend. maybe her downgrade is done on purpose so she blends in with him on their dates and shes convinced to stay with him unti she can lose the extra weight but she just gets complacent and doesnt. always pining after guys like ryan reynolds. maybe eventually she regains her original beauty but now shes been with this guy for a couple years and she does love him, she just, isn't attracted to him, but she would be awful to leave him based on looks so she stays. something like that lol..

its kinda in one story, by Matt L, girl has no dates for the weekend and her friend insists she go to comic con with her little bro, a chubby pale shy video gamer, as a prank of course, and then she makes the girl downgrade her looks to fit in. he has some odd reality change, i wish it had just been a real, she gets stuck in her downgrade and winds up dating the guy for real
PilsburyDoughZoe

Postby Matt L. » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:33 am

Zoe,

Thank you for the very nice sentiments.

Cheers, Matt
Matt L.
Transformation Grand Master

Postby PilsburyDoughZoe » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:43 am

Matt L. wrote:Zoe,

Thank you for the very nice sentiments.

Cheers, Matt

Mmhmm, love you work and thats one i re-read often, even if i finish it differently lol, the whole setup is fantastic
PilsburyDoughZoe

Postby EFHRJ » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:28 am

Which story is this?
EFHRJ

Postby PilsburyDoughZoe » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:50 pm

PilsburyDoughZoe

Postby Tigerharpy » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:11 pm

I kind of like the idea of a vicarious downgrade. That's to say, it's a common fantasy to imagine oneself falling into circumstances that grant an ideal beautiful partner. It's a common trope in anime, and though it's becoming fodder for low quality waifu bait, Ah My Goddess is almost entirely about the subject. This is a common wish fulfillment fantasy for both men and women. I guess you could explore the untenability of that sort of relationship.

In reality, despite having a great body and even a nice personality, you might not have anything in common with an instagram model, for instance. Unless you're a gym freak or healthnut, a lot of the things you'd want to do together might be limited or off limits entirely.

A partner becoming downgraded could then be a metaphor for reality reasserting itself, going through the disappointment as the fantasy crumbles and then finding a more complete satisfaction in the new reality that accepts the good and the bad.
Tigerharpy

Return to General Transformation Talk