Personality change

A place for help and advice on your writing, and finding beta readers and editors.

Personality change

Postby Lamebrain » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:47 pm

What sort of ways do you guys like to write/read about personality change?
Lamebrain

Re: Personality change

Postby DrZaaijer » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:24 pm

The personality change is just another transformation. But if you do a personality change then a physical change shouldn't be done, or not done to extreme or vice versa. B/c if you change someone physically and emotionally, there isn't anything left of that person and thus you have a new person not a transformed one.

Think of it this way, if you change the motor, transmission and radiator on a car than then change its chassey, seats and dashboard, you don't have a fixed car you have a new car. There has to be something imortant left of the old or you don't really have a transformation story any more. IMO.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you like my work and want to see more of it go to http://cowdance.com/Main%20Menu.php. From there you can support me on Patreon. My name on Patreon is itsmetoo.
DrZaaijer
Transformation Grand Master

Postby AndyEngines » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:36 pm

I think the personality part is so much more than the physical. I try, and often fail, to make it in some way credible, a series of steps that leads down the path of change and then at some point throw him or her into an old situation which highlights the change, it could be meeting someone from their past. Core traits are in some ways the the most powerful i.e. Good to evil but these take more steps. The total change of someone fascinates me, especially building the plot, I enjoy the plot so much I do tend to get myself immersed more in the plot construction than anything else. I want to try a magic change but in some ways I find magic a cheat, but done well it is brilliant (Mr Gray, An afternoon well spent).

hope this helps, love the subject.
AndyEngines
Transformation Master

Postby ThePro » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:07 am

Personality change is my absolute favorite kind of tf, but it's quite far. Too often it's just "*POOF* you're a different person now". I prefer it if the subject hates it and fights it every step of the way. A real exercise in increasing self loathing and loss of identity as they gradually lose the fight against new abilities/interests/urges/social roles etc.
ThePro

Postby DrZaaijer » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:49 am

ThePro, if your personality has changed how do you know? It's easy to see you have no penis, but it's hard to tell when you like pink clothes to blue clothes, want a burger instead of a salad, prefer ballet to chess. If your personality has changed then so is the thing you are using to judge yourself
If you like my work and want to see more of it go to http://cowdance.com/Main%20Menu.php. From there you can support me on Patreon. My name on Patreon is itsmetoo.
DrZaaijer

Postby AndyEngines » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:30 am

I love this. I think someone can change personality and during that loath what they are becoming, as innocence is lost we can still mourn that loss. Also circumstances can force our path. Most people are hard wired with their traits by the age of 16 normally, selfish/unselfish, cruel/kind, deep personal traits; to change ourselves is possible but requires time and effort, a form of brainwashing and yet throughout our core traits are still there. Examples are, the military and basic training, where the fight or flight response is trained to respond with only fight. Also spiritual programs lean towards the positive to slowly lift a person and that with time will change people, much the same, but opposite to someone living and being molded by a negative environment, such as a ghetto. To most of us the change is so gradual we do not notice it but maybe if we are put back in our original environment the juxtaposition will show us who we were and who we are now, that I feel could bring self loathing, moments of lucidity of what we have become.

Is this making sense, just spinning out ideas
AndyEngines
Transformation Master

Postby ThePro » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:20 pm

itsme wrote:ThePro, if your personality has changed how do you know? It's easy to see you have no penis, but it's hard to tell when you like pink clothes to blue clothes, want a burger instead of a salad, prefer ballet to chess. If your personality has changed then so is the thing you are using to judge yourself

Personality =/= memory. You'd remember this is not how it's supposed to be. It would be a very disturbing discovery I think, if it was on a grand scale.
ThePro

Postby DrZaaijer » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:54 pm

What will you trust, your memory or how your true internal feelings? Why wouldn't you think that it's your memory that was manipulated not your feelings? Let's see you are a man in a store and you see a gorgeous dress. You want to buy it. Do you actually have a memory of seeing a dress and thinking, I would never buy something like that? Feelings are probably stronger than memories. It probably would be other people telling you that you haven't done that before that would make a bigger impact.

Look at it the opposite what, your a man and someone put memories in your mind that you love to buy dresses and go out in drag. These are false memories, do you buy a dress and go out in drag even though your memories say yes and your feelings so no?

Or say you are a flaming man who has been dressing for as long as he can remember. You personality has been changed to be conventional in dress and action. Do you do as your memories tell you or dress in the conventional way? These are extreme examples.

But in the lessor ones it is hard to tell, if you like pink, then just because you remember buying blue doesn't mean you won't buy pink now since it's what you like. The same with the burger and ballet. It's harder to fight against what you like then what you remember.
DrZaaijer

Postby ThePro » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:12 pm

Anyone that wouldn't realize how weird that was without magical aid suppressing it had an incredibly weak sense of self and was probably kind of dumb in the first place, really.
ThePro

Postby pinkhippo99 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:08 pm

When I write a personality change, I try to think of the unwanted feelings or behaviors as temptations or cravings that everyone gets. Everyone feels the need sometimes to do things which are unhealthy, or harmful or which would otherwise be against our better interests. Everyone gets impulses that seem to come out of nowhere and are very hard to suppress.

And the reason they are hard to suppress is that they are so mundane. Buy an extra candy bar at the supermarket checkout. Wear a nicer shirt than you normally would. Surf the internet instead of studying. Simple stuff. We don't know where the idea came from, so its harder to say no.

Thats what makes personality changes so interesting. You "know" that these impulses are not yours. You "know" that giving in to them is harmful to your sense of self. But the impulses themselves are so sudden, so unexpected, and the actions themselves usually so simple that it is hard to not act on them. And every time you do act on them, your sense of self gets more confused, and it becomes easier to act on the next one.
pinkhippo99

Next

Return to Writing Advice