Would you rather full story releases or chapter by chapter?

A place for help and advice on your writing, and finding beta readers and editors.

Would you rather full story releases or chapter by chapter?

Postby Babel111 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:38 pm

I wanted people's opinion on releasing stories on this site. Would you rather have a story completely finished when posted or would you rather have it be posted chapter by chapter?

I ask because sometimes I complete half a story and then think of a new idea and start on another story leaving the 1st one unfinished for a while.

An example of of an unfisnished story of my own would be The Memorizer where I've definitely taken my time on completing.

Please let me know your thoughts.

-Babel111
Babel111

Re: Would you rather full story releases or chapter by chapt

Postby Achuloh » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:02 pm

First, I think it's important to consider what you enjoy writing-wise. If your current posting style is comfortable for you, you shouldn't feel pressured to change. You're sharing something you made with us for free - we have no reason to complain if some aspect of what you're doing isn't 100% our preference.

I've really enjoyed most of your stories, even the unfinished ones - so I think I'd prefer the chapter-by-chapter approach, since it means we'll get to see more of your ideas. My selfish fear is that we'd see less of your great writing if you only posted stories after they finished.

Obviously though, if there's some reason you have for wanting to switch to posting only completed stories, you should do that. You don't owe anyone here anything, and I'm just grateful for anything you're kind enough to share with us!
Achuloh

Postby Valiant_Pilot » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:13 pm

In my opinion it definitely depends on the length. The few things I've done have been short and sweet, barely even one chapter really and focus on one short transformation. Those types and others that simply focus on the transformation of one person in one way work better if you get it all at once. If it's a longer bigger story that covers multiple people like badcompany8888's Jail coming in chapters is easier to read and digest. So yeah if it's only one or two chapters, focuses on one character I'd say to just do it all at once. If it's a behemoth of varying transformations let it come slowly, weekly installments even.
Valiant_Pilot

Postby Babel111 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:56 pm

I really appreciate the feedback.

I think for smaller stories (2000 - 3000ish words) I am going to start waiting until they are done because I've had a pattern of starting them and getting half way and leaving them incomplete.
Babel111

Postby Tigerharpy » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:42 pm

Short stories are something that I think of as a few thousand words at most. Those make sense to release all at once. Longform . . . Well it's important to understand that writers in more . . . conventional genres . . . Typically show other people their work as they're developing it. It's very unusual for a writer to keep a story of tens of thousands of words close to their chest without any feedback until finished. And given the genre we're generally talking about here, this site is as good a place as any to seek safe and anonymous feedback
Tigerharpy

Postby animefan78 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:28 am

Tigerharpy wrote: Typically show other people their work as they're developing it. It's very unusual for a writer to keep a story of tens of thousands of words close to their chest without any feedback until finished. And given the genre we're generally talking about here, this site is as good a place as any to seek safe and anonymous feedback

I couldn't agree more with this.
animefan78
Transformation Grand Master

Postby Blackbeen » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:36 pm

Full
Blackbeen

Postby DrZaaijer » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:33 am

No one wants to read 1/2 a story. Since you have a tendency of not finishing the story, don't post until you have finished the first draft of the complete story. Then you can decide whether you want to post the entire story when you are finished, or you want to post the chapters as you are editing.

Don't expect feedback to help you finish a story, it rarely happens.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you like my work and want to see more of it go to http://cowdance.com/Main%20Menu.php. From there you can support me on Patreon. My name on Patreon is itsmetoo.
DrZaaijer
Transformation Grand Master

Postby Freaksss » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:28 am

It depends on the lenght of the story. Long ones are, in my opinion, more interesting to read in chapters, like I did with my story The Moray Heel.
Freaksss
Transformation Master

Return to Writing Advice