Writers losing interest due to a lack of feedback?

Want to talk about transformation of any sort? Not covered by one of the subforums ("looking for", linkage, etc.) detailed below? Here's your place to do it!

Re: Writers losing interest due to a lack of feedback?

Postby Mars » Wed May 09, 2018 3:22 am

Coming from a long-time lurker who's trying to become more active in commentary, I often enjoy stories immensely but usually find I've nothing of great weight or interest to add (as I see it) to the conversation and so avoid commenting entirely. This might be called "fear of having nothing to say"
I suppose it begs the question, to the writers, whether a simple "I enjoyed this story" or "thanks for posting" are appreciated as well as more in-depth comments devoted to literary analysis or constructive criticism. I will say that as someone who's written/performed in other arenas, I can understand the feeling of transmitting into deep space; the joy of creation is very important, but so is acknowledgement.
Mars

Postby tfrmer » Wed May 09, 2018 1:45 pm

Mars wrote:Coming from a long-time lurker who's trying to become more active in commentary, I often enjoy stories immensely but usually find I've nothing of great weight or interest to add (as I see it) to the conversation and so avoid commenting entirely. This might be called "fear of having nothing to say"
I suppose it begs the question, to the writers, whether a simple "I enjoyed this story" or "thanks for posting" are appreciated as well as more in-depth comments devoted to literary analysis or constructive criticism. I will say that as someone who's written/performed in other arenas, I can understand the feeling of transmitting into deep space; the joy of creation is very important, but so is acknowledgement.

I know with the few stories I attempted or my work on interactive fiction any acknowledgement even helpful criticism was appreciated. I'm hoping they can maybe put a like button on this forum for posters like yourself.
tfrmer

Postby her revenge » Wed May 09, 2018 2:33 pm

Mars wrote:Coming from a long-time lurker who's trying to become more active in commentary, I often enjoy stories immensely but usually find I've nothing of great weight or interest to add (as I see it) to the conversation and so avoid commenting entirely. This might be called "fear of having nothing to say"

To answer your question in a personal fashion. A simple "thanks or the story" or "I really enjoyed the story" goes a long way. Of course constructive criticism is welcome for most writers I speak to, but never be afraid to comment, everybody's entitled to an opinion
HR
her revenge
Transformation Grand Master

Postby AndyEngines » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:29 pm

Interesting subject and some excellent points. It is proven that likes on Facebook give a little lift to people. A very real high in the form of a physiological boost. Namely dopamine. The following is from a magazine

The dopamine from the ventral tegmental area doesn’t help people move — at least, not directly. Instead, this area usually sends dopamine into the brain when animals (including people) expect or receive a reward. That reward might be a delicious slice of pizza or a favorite song. This dopamine release tells the brain that whatever it just experienced is worth getting more of. And that helps animals (including people) change their behaviors in ways that will help them attain more of the rewarding item or experience.

Likes for stories create a similar state so it is entirely logical to say that likes to a story will spur the writer on. I agree with the general remarks that you should write because you enjoy writing but positive feedback can lift a writer no end. I can attest to that this as I have written a couple of stories and positive feedback does spur me on.

In my view if you really like a story then a nod in the writers direction will have far more positive affect than negative. Saying that I am guilty of withholding praise where quite often it is absolutely due.
AndyEngines
Transformation Master

Postby Lamebrain » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:22 am

Feedback is really nice I have to admit that. The main thing it does for me is show people like the direction I'm taking the story. And if they suggest improvements that's also really good.

It's not a necessity for me though I generally self motivate myself now by just writing every single day until I'm finished. I'm afraid to stop just incase I get bored or procrastinate.
Lamebrain

Postby archon_thanatos » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:43 am

Is there a way with this forum application to institute a simple like/don't like button? That way people could say they liked something without having to write an actual post saying that when they don't have anything additional to add.
archon_thanatos

Postby Lamebrain » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:36 am

archon_thanatos wrote:Is there a way with this forum application to institute a simple like/don't like button? That way people could say they liked something without having to write an actual post saying that when they don't have anything additional to add.

Theo would have to upgrade the forum software to do this. Which has been suggested a few times now. Curvage for example runs on Xenforo and lets you do this.
Lamebrain

Postby Woland » Sat May 09, 2020 2:09 pm

May I suggest to add a "Like" button and/or a rating system? It would be the quickest way to show and see appreciation, imho. I'm sure the good old phpbb has at least a plugin for this ;)

Woland
Woland

Postby Tigerharpy » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:33 am

her revenge wrote:This is a really interesting question. Do authors write for enjoyment or validation? Personally write for the enjoyment of doing so, but having said that I think it's only human nature to enjoy positive feed back. If you've spend several hours on a story and then somebody posts a positive comment it feels good and I for one do not feel like I've sold out in any way for feeling that way.
HR

It's worth mentioning this, but as much as people insist they write for their personal enjoyment. And as much as this may be true. Complete radio silence in regards to a story isn't just a lack of external validation, it's a sort of invalidation. It's the equivalent of a room full of people simply starring at you silently after giving a public speech. That's just the way human psychology works.
Tigerharpy

Postby laristopa » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:39 am

It definitely feels good to get feedback. I need to get better about giving authors and stories I like a nice comment more often. It's the best way to have your favorites keep going.
laristopa
Transformation Grand Master

PreviousNext

Return to General Transformation Talk