Punishment as a theme

Want to talk about transformation of any sort? Not covered by one of the subforums ("looking for", linkage, etc.) detailed below? Here's your place to do it!

Re: Punishment as a theme

Postby riptoryx » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:46 pm

Tom_Q wrote:Not counting few exceptions, I can't think about any good stories that circle around punishment, especially since the punishment is almost always tied with humiliation.

I won't begrudge you your preference, but I think Shakespeare, Aeschylus, Sophocles, Euripedes, Steinbeck, and Cormac McCarthy may all be harrumphing from their graves. Well, probably not McCarthy since he's not quite dead yet. Still, though...
riptoryx

Postby Tom_Q » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:20 pm

I'm sorry, but did you've just put classic drama in the same line as transformation-driven fetish literature?

Please tell me you are not serious here and it was just a really dull joke.
Tom_Q

Postby riptoryx » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:26 pm

Tom_Q wrote:I'm sorry, but did you've just put classic drama in the same line as transformation-driven fetish literature?

As the infallible Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy) puts it: "Tragedy is a form of drama based on human suffering that invokes an accompanying catharsis or pleasure in audiences." "Punishment"--deserved or otherwise--is often a central theme of "tragedy" as form of dramatic (or literary) art. The device of "the tragic story" seems to be roughly as old, well-established, and popular as the practice of storytelling itself. The names I referenced previously are examples reflecting that reality.

So, Tom_Q, my response is: no, it wasn't "just a really dull joke." My point is that a story focusing on the sufferings of a protagonist (including punishment "tied with humiliation"), and providing no happy ending, not only can be a good story, but is in fact a well-established style of storytelling that has been widely practiced, widely popular, and widely praised for a very long time. And it remains so today. This is relevant to discussing the existence and merit of "punishment as a theme," whether in fetish fiction or otherwise. (Plus, there was kind of a lot of eyebrow-raising, often at least vaguely sexy-time-related transformation stuff going down in some of those ancient Greek and Roman stories.) "Punishment as a theme" exists and persists because some folks find it entertaining, for reasons that are both various and legitimate.

You've already made clear that you "really, REALLY dislike" punishment and humiliation in your fetish fiction (or maybe all fiction in general, I dunno?), and that's cool. I can respect that. Everybody has his or her own preferences. My humble suggestion is just that perhaps you, and all of us, keep an open mind about returning that gesture.
riptoryx

Postby fat_holly » Thu May 11, 2017 1:24 pm

Personally the "punishment" and humiliation themes are exactly what I am looking for in a transformation story. I sympathise with the posters here who are looking for other options, but I feel that the punishment themes are pretty much key to this particular genre or fetish, or whatever it deserves to be called.
fat_holly

Postby fatalflaw25 » Fri May 19, 2017 5:57 pm

Because creating a flaw in the character gives motive for an outside force to create or use that conflict to impose a change that would force them to face said flaw, and also people get off on seeing someone who they feel is out of line put in their place (in addition to the sexual overtones).
fatalflaw25

Postby Blackbeen » Sun May 21, 2017 12:41 am

Tom_Q wrote:I'm sorry, but did you've just put classic drama in the same line as transformation-driven fetish literature?

Really, I hate it when writers attempt to drive stories in the direction of serious fiction, this is essentially dick candy when it comes down to it, not that it should be poorly written, but use some economy.
Last edited by Blackbeen on Sun May 21, 2017 12:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Blackbeen

Postby Blackbeen » Sun May 21, 2017 12:46 am

fat_holly wrote:Personally the "punishment" and humiliation themes are exactly what I am looking for in a transformation story. I sympathise with the posters here who are looking for other options, but I feel that the punishment themes are pretty much key to this particular genre or fetish, or whatever it deserves to be called.

To add, revenge, but good stories of that theme can be counted on one hand unfortunately. :|
Blackbeen

Postby fat_holly » Tue May 30, 2017 3:12 pm

Blackbeen wrote:
fat_holly wrote:Personally the "punishment" and humiliation themes are exactly what I am looking for in a transformation story. I sympathise with the posters here who are looking for other options, but I feel that the punishment themes are pretty much key to this particular genre or fetish, or whatever it deserves to be called.

To add, revenge, but good stories of that theme can be counted on one hand unfortunately. :|

Are you speaking about revenge stories in traditional literature, or revenge tales that are written on this site? Because if it's the latter, I suppose I would disagree with you.

Or at least it would be worthwhile to define what "good" is, in regards to what gets written on this forum. Obviously, nobody here is writing on the level of Steinbeck or Faulkner. But what I define as being 'good" on here is something that is entertaining, has a reasonable plot that suspends disbelief (even if it's a fantasy), and is titilating and fun. I can think of several revenge themed stories on this site that fulfill that criteria
fat_holly

Postby her revenge » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:08 am

I have been watching this thread with interest for some time now and I thought I would add my own take on the discussion for what it's worth.

Punishment as an erotic trigger is widely used simply because it titillates the mind, not in everybody, but in a majority or at least in sufficient numbers for it to flourish on sites like this. True it can be dark and sometimes rather uncomfortable but that is the whole idea I guess.

In relation to revenge stories on this or any other site. Well yes there are some good ones out there, and some bad, as in everything, but I always try to remember that most of the stories submitted to this or most other similar sites are not written by professional authors but by people who enjoy reading stories with similar themes. There are some excellent authors out there, Matt L is a great example of this,and they are well worth tracking down, but deep down if punishment and revenge just isn't your thing well there is a world of other fantasy's out there to explore.
HR
her revenge
Transformation Grand Master

Previous

Return to General Transformation Talk