Posting Others' Stories

Want to talk about the site itself -- problems, technical issues, ideas, etc.? Here's the place to do it!

Posting Others' Stories

Postby kylekatarn77 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:52 am

Normally wouldn't ask this, because I'd never want to commit cardinal sin of plagiarism or unauthorized posting. But a certain author I've found/really like put this at the beginning of every one of his stories-

Note: the author encourages unauthorised reposting, sequels, and blatant plagiarism of this work.

Thoughts on if we're allowed to post one of his stories here? Or start an author page for them? Just don't wanna step on toes.
kylekatarn77

Re: Posting Other's Stories

Postby Alice » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:30 pm

Wyrdey, yeah, I love his stuff too. =)

Basically, the board policy both here and on the late lamented FC was that unless an author specifically did not want his stuff reposted and stated so, or later requested his work be removed, it was kosher to post other people's stuff.
Alice

Re: Posting Others' Stories

Postby scribe2010 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:24 pm

I've just recently registered here and found that a story I had written some years ago, "The Bellini Effect" had been posted here. As it happens it did specify "by Scribe 2010" in the link, so I don't think any plagiarism was intended. What I most missed out on was any feedback which the story may have earned. I do think that every effort should be made to notify the author and/or seek their permission before any re-posting. Generally speaking the only payback any of us receive for our work on the fiction is the feedback we would have received if the posting were under our control. Just a thought. I am certainly not intending to be over dogmatic or critical about this, since I have enjoyed reading many of the stories featured here with very little knowledge or concern about their original sources.
scribe2010

Return to Site Issues/Feedback