Sinks

Moderator: greinskyn

Sinks

Postby greinskyn » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:33 pm

Mel was about an hour into her second shift of the day when a customer slipped into booth #3. Barely had the young woman’s slender ass settled against the scarred oak bench than out came a pack of Camel straights. With an ease suggesting years of practice, a flame appeared as if the lighter had lit on its own the instant it popped free. The lighter disappeared just as quickly, leaving behind red embers that brightened from an obscenely long drag.
Mel felt the young woman’s sweet & innocent eyes lock on her. Only then realizing she’d been staring.

“Ya gonna take my order or what?” came the challenge.

“Uhm. I… I’ll have to see your I.D. first.”

Taking another long drag, the young woman… more of a girl really, rolled her blue orbs up at the ceiling. “Sorry sweetie, I forgot it at home.”

‘Sweetie?’ Mel marveled, fighting an eye roll of her own. ‘Cripes she sounds like my Grandmother’

“Sorry Miss, no I.D. no liquor.”

The girl snorted at that. “Miss! Yeah right. Gimme a coke then.”

Mel hesitated, hoping there would be more. She needed tips bad, and a single soda probably wouldn’t net her a thing.

“A Coke? That’s it? We have a really tasty…”

“Just a Coke.”

Mel watched as a third drag brought the cigarette dangerously close to the dainty fingers holding it.

‘Is she nuts?! Smoking like that is crazy’

Images of her blue-haired grandmother swaddled in the ever present and equally bluish haze flashed before her. “How’s my little sweetie?” she’d rasp, in a voice that sounded like gravel.

Back in the present, Mel pasted on a smile and nodded.

“One Coke, coming right up!”

As she stormed off to the fountains, however, a much less gracious thought filled her mind. ‘I bet that little bitch is going to stiff me on the tip too!’ Mel let her eyes drift over to booth #3, narrowing as the well-dressed girl fished out another cigarette. ‘It’s not like she can’t afford it. I know real Prada and Versace when I see it’ Not that she could ever afford such luxuries for herself.

The injustice of a world where Mel’s feet ached in cheap shoes while slugging through yet another double shift, and here this flawless little hussy could sit and spend Daddy’s money, nearly had Mel dump the sugary liquid over the girl’s head.

A cluster of over-the-roaders helped break up the monotony a bit. And though the groping, boob-staring truckers ate heartily, their combined $4.87 tips hardly were going to keep Mel in her apartment. ‘Gee thanks guys’

It was no surprise Miss Camel straights left nothing but an ashtray full of cigarette stubs. ‘Man, how can she smoke them so short?’ The girl’s fingers had to be burnt orange from such a practice. Yet, such a thing didn’t catch Mel’s eyes.

“Lazy bitch didn’t even bother to pick up her half empty pack.”

Turning up her nose, Mel swiped the whole works into the bin. Then, just as she turned to leave, her look of distaste turned to one of interest, then disbelief, and finally excitement. There, on the bench lay a gorgeous diamond pendant. ‘Wow that looks real’

Mel snatched it up. It was real, and no doubt expensive… like five figures expensive, maybe six.

“Holy shit!”

No way did Mel trust Wendel, her manager. The little slimebag would steal it for sure. For now she put it in her apron pocket. It’d be safe there until the girl came back for it. ‘Maybe now I can get myself a reward instead’

Mel’s shift dragged on another six long hours, but no word from the mystery girl. ‘Oh well, maybe tomorrow’

With a sigh, she transferred the pendant and cigarettes from apron to purse.

Chase brushed a silky blonde lock out of his girlfriend’s eyes. “Why don’t you just move in with me?”

Mel stared wide eyed back up at him. It was a tempting offer, especially now with him perched ever so enticingly above. Only inches separated them. ‘Still…’ Biting her lip, she broke his gaze and turned.

“I can’t. Not… yet.”

Chase ached to persuade Mel, but previous experience taught him that the more he pressed, the further she would retreat.

“Well, at least let me loan you some money to get by.”

He knew that was just as pointless.

Mel faced him once more, her sweet blue eyes threatening to tear up. “Thanks, but I’ll be fine.

Meeting her gaze filled Chase with a mixture of love and helplessness.

“There’s gotta be something I can do?”

Reaching up to clasp her arms around her boyfriend’s neck, a twinkle flashed in Mel’s eye. “Well, there is something you can help me with right now.”

Chase felt himself pulled closer… and didn’t fight it a bit.

A week passed with no mention of the pendent. That week soon stretched into two, then three. Finally after a month Mel couldn’t take it anymore.

“If she doesn’t want it…”

The gold chain felt heavy and cool as she plucked it from the hidden compartment of her dresser. Light spilling in through the bedroom window danced off the big diamond. ‘Whoah’ Hefting it higher, Mel rolled the chain between her slender fingers. ‘I wonder what this thing is worth?’

In no time she had it on. As the cold surface of the diamond touched her chest a tingle radiated out between her breasts bringing about a startled gasp.

“Huh!”

The tingle grew, even as it sank in deeper and deeper into her chest, turning eventually into more of a tickle.

Cough Cough!

‘What the hell was that?’

A small irritation remained, threatening another bout of coughing, but Mel fought it back. ‘Strange’

Could it be guilt?

As if in answer, she snatched the pendant from her neck and slipped it back into the compartment.
greinskyn
Transformation Master

Re: Sinks

Postby Matt L. » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:22 pm

Hey Greinskyn,
Everything you write is enjoyable and this story is especially entertaining!
Matt L.
Transformation Grand Master

Postby guarnian » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:24 am

This start really picked my interest, I´m curious to know how things will turn out. Keep up the good work :)
guarnian

Postby avocat27 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:22 pm

Great start. I can see a number of ways this could go. Keep up the good work.
avocat27
Transformation Master

Postby greinskyn » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:10 pm

“Are you alright?”

Mel looked at the concerned expression Jenna was giving her and waived it off.

“I’m… Ah. Ah… ahem! I’m ok. Just a little cold I think.”

Despite clearing her throat, Mel’s usually golden voice still sounded a bit gravelly. Jenna didn’t look convinced and fished out a couple cough drops. “Here these should help.”

Mel accepted the offer. “Thanks.”

Chase too had his doubts. Mel had been coughing here and there throughout their date. And her voice had certainly sounded better. So much for the movie theater…
Back at his apartment Mel surfed for something they both enjoyed from Netflix. Chase, himself just returning from the kitchenette, plopped down a tray of snacks. He saw the highlighted selection.

“Elle Enchanted! Niice!”

Proud of her choice, Mel smiled back at him as the cushions sank under their combined weight. She felt so safe and secure from the heat and closeness. The sensation grew even stronger as Chase’s arm reached around her.

Before long it became evident her boyfriend was no longer paying any attention to the movie. Truth be told, Mel herself had stopped paying attention several minutes back. Warm breath danced on her neck, bringing about goosebumps. Chase drew even nearer, beginning to nuzzle… then he stopped. Mel felt the sudden tension and heard an audible sniff.

“Were there a lot of smokers at the B&G?” (Zeke’s Bar & Grill)

Mel knew what must be the problem, yet played innocent. “Yeah why?”

Another sniff.

“That cigarette smell is kind of a turn off.”

Mel, who’d noticed an extra amount clinging to her after work had thought the thorough shower and strategic perfume spritzes would’ve taken care of it.
“Well, ahem… I could take another shower...” She flashed Chase a come-hither smile. “… but you’d have to join me.”

The rest of Elle Enchanted played to an empty room.

That night, snuggled under the silk sheets, Chase drifted off to sleep; the smell of Lavender and Bayberry… mixed with a hint of cigarettes filling his lungs.

“That’s it! You’re going to the doctor.”

Chase had just been treated to a morning bout of Mel’s coughing. The sound of her hacks echoed in the small bathroom, sounding much worse than the irritation that’d been haunting his girlfriend for the last week.

Mel, looked tired and a little haggard so Chase expected no resistance.

“Who made you the boss?!” she snapped.

The suddenness of the outburst made him flinch.

Actually it surprised her just as much.

The fact that Mel finally acquiesced eased Chase’s worries a little. Drawing her near, he gave a reassuring hug. “You go finish up, I’ll give the clinic a call.”

Feeling guilty, she nodded slightly, then pulled free to go and get dressed. Chase headed off to look up the number for Urgent Care.

“Crap! I look like shit.”

Small worry lines painted themselves across Mel’s usually smooth forehead. There were even slight bags under her eyes. ‘Gee being sick is fun’ she brooded.
A few pinches to the cheeks brought back some color. Mel then applied a hint of eye-shadow and some lipstick before giving another appraisal.

“Yeesh. Pale city.”

While applying some foundation and some natural tone she had to stop, staring slack jawed at the sight of slight laugh lines. ‘What the Hell? I’m 23 Dammit!’

Fortunately some creative makeup did something to lessen the effect, but the sight left Mel shaken for some time.

After having Mel inhale and exhale several times, Doctor Paulsen continued with the usual examination. ‘Aarrggh! I hate that!’ Mel thought, trying not to cringe from the weird little plastic cone in her ear. It was all she could do not to physically grumble about it.

Finally satisfied, the doctor gave a sharp nod, then sat at the tiny little desk. Mel sat there patiently (Pardon the pun) while he thumbed through several former logs and notes. After what seemed an eternity, Dr. Paulsen spoke.

“So, how many cigarettes do you smoke a day?”

“I don’t smoke.” she replied.

Pausing from a re-examination of the last form, the doctor raised his eyes to meet Mel’s.

“I see you’ve checked “Non Smoker” each visit for the last 5 years.” He set the clipboard aside, not once breaking eye contact. “If you are worried about losing any sort of Insurance deduction, be rest assured, that for now, anything you say will be confidential.”

“I don’t smoke. I never have.”

Dr. Paulsen sighed.

“Miss Scanlan, if you can’t be honest with me, I can’t properly treat you. Smoking has powerful effects on the body. Besides increased risks of cancer, all sorts of impacts may result.

Mel, however, remained adamant.

Finally the doctor held up his hands.

“Ok, ok… if you say so.”

Outside the clinic, Mel tapped her foot impatiently.

“C’mon Chase where are you?” she hissed.

He’d texted he was on his way… but that was like a minute ago already.

With a grunt of disgust, Mel dug in her purse in search of a piece of gum. ‘I know I have some in here dammit!’ It took some effort, but finally a battered Orbit box was located. Hurriedly Mel tossed a piece in her mouth. ‘Ahhhh….’

She didn’t know why, but lately her mouth craved… well, she didn’t know exactly what… just something. Her almost constant feeling of being denied often left Mel on edge.

Quite frankly those around her were tired of getting snapped at. Just yesterday Jenna at work told her to get laid or something.

“Anything to stop the bitching.”

‘It’s not that bad is it?’ Mel wondered as Chase pulled up.

“About time.” she muttered, sliding into the passenger seat.

Seeing his girlfriend’s agitation, and feeling helpless, Chase offered the first thing to come to mind.

“How about we go out for a drink?”

‘How about I get shitfaced?’ Mel thought.

“That sounds fine.” She replied instead, trying her best to hide her frustration.

Chase nodded and headed off to Dugan’s Pub. They had Mel’s favorite Rueben sandwich there. Maybe some good food and a couple stiff drinks would ease the tension.

At the pub, there was no place to park. After circling a nearby block in futility, Chase pulled over in front.

“Hey, why don’t you go in and save us a table while I try and find a spot for this?”

That sounded like a good idea. So, after leaning over to place a peck on her boyfriend’s cheek as way of apology for her bitchiness, Mel climbed out.

“Don’t take too long now.” She chastened with a sly grin. “I’m sure there’s plenty of young studs willing to take your place.”

Chase, however, looked questioningly at her.

“We’re talking Dugan’s here hun. I don’t think I have anything to worry about.”

“Touche!”

Inside the bar Mel paused for her eyes to adjust. A heavily tattooed girl serving as bouncer waved her on through. Mel only half-pretended to be insulted. It seemed every place that served alcohol always demanded the fresh-faced young woman to pony up proof of age.

“What? You’re not going to I.D. me?” she said incredulously.

“Nah, you’re OK.” came the reply.

“Wow, I’m only 23, so I’m used to everyone carding me… even at the grocery store.”

Mel’s admission was met with a chuckle.

Such a strange response caught her attention and ire.

“What’s so funny?” she demanded.

The bouncer didn’t seem the least bit intimidated, but then given the cut physique she possessed, it would take more than Mel to do that.

“Oh, nuthin, just that if you’re gonna lie about you age, I’d go with 29.”

Mel was speechless, managing only an angry “Uggh!” before stomping off. ‘The nerve!’
greinskyn
Transformation Master

Postby Alice » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:04 am

Really enjoying thus thus far!
Alice

Postby Maximus » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:02 am

Some quality AP right here
Maximus

Postby greinskyn » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:05 pm

Five drinks, and two appetizers later, a dazed Mel staggered off to the bathroom. While bracing herself against the railing she had to admit it was the best she’d felt in days. Chase’s loving efforts had yielded results, and while the strange tension and cravings hadn’t disappeared, they had certainly diminished.

Swinging open the restroom door, a haze of smoke greeted her. Dugan’s was supposed to be a “Smoke Free” establishment, and in the main area it was. All turned a blind eye to what went on in the bathrooms, however.

In the past, the overwhelming cloud had always bothered Mel, tickling her throat and irritating her eyes. This time, however, it felt as if she’d been dying of thirst… and had just been given a tall glass of cool water. Drawing a deep breath, Mel closed her eyes, savoring the sensation. But, the joy didn’t last. She craved more.
Just then a rail-thin girl approached her.

“Hey, can I bum a cig?”

It took a second or two for the question to sink in. Mel’s reply was almost automated.

“I don’t smoke.”

The girl just looked at her for a moment.

“Hey, if you don’t want to give me one just say so OK? No need to bullshit me.”

“Excuse me?” Mel replied, taken aback.

Instead of answering right away, mystery girl grabbed Mel’s hand and held it up in front of her startled face.

“You don’t get this by not smoking dumbass.”

Any response Mel might have had died in her throat at the sight of the orange-ish stain between her second and third fingers. She’d been a waitress long enough to know what that was.

“But, I don’t smoke.” was all she could mumble.

Dropping Mel’s hand, the girl went off in a huff leaving her alone.

‘What the hell is happening to me?’

That night Mel had practically scrubbed the skin off her fingers trying to remove the awful incriminating stain. In her desperate frustrated attempts, her headache grew even worse.

“What the fuck is going on?” she demanded from her drawn reflection.

Just then an idea struck; a crazy, impossible idea.

Almost on their own accord Mel’s legs carried her over to her dresser. Opening up the secret compartment she brushed aside the gorgeous diamond pendant as if it were garbage. There beneath it lay the half empty pack of cigarettes from the pendant’s true owner. Giving the pack an expert shake Mel popped a single free. It felt perfectly at home between her expectant lips. Without a thought the lighter lit and quickly set the tip aglow.

Mel dragged hard and long, as if her very life depended on it.

“Ahhhhhhhhhhh………” she moaned, sagging against the dresser.

It was as if all the pent up tension evaporated. Another drag made things better, and another, and another.

Only after her final drag had the tiny stub so short she could feel the heat did reality strike.

“Holy fuck!”

Mel almost threw the lit remainder out of shock. Only by the slimmest margin did she manage to hang on long enough to toss it into the toilet. With horror she stared at both it and her hand as if some sort of carrion had infected her. Mel’s world had gotten a whole lot weirder.
greinskyn
Transformation Master

Postby Matt L. » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:05 pm

Fantastic story and nice cliff-hanger. I look forward to reading what happens next.
Matt L.
Transformation Grand Master

Postby greinskyn » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:27 am

A fit of coughing started Mel’s day off, hours earlier than intended. On top of that she felt like crap. Not only did her headache return full-force, so did the cravings. Only shock and horror over last night’s events helped Mel hold out against the ever increasing desire. Despite herself, all Mel could think of was how giving in had felt sooo good. Halfway through a seemingly tasteless coffee, she buckled.

So deep was Mel’s need, she rooted through the dresser like a mad woman. Back in the kitchen the first of several long drags was savored over a fresh cup of coffee. Her treasured Sorority mug served for an impromptu ashtray. For Mel, it was as if the lights had suddenly brightened around her. The coffee held its familiar flavor and aroma. She even got to enjoy the lack of aching head and loss of tension. That is, until her mind could ignore it no longer.

‘What is happening to me?’ she wondered in what was becoming an increasingly common question.

Before Mel could ponder, her cell rang. In the tense dead quiet of the kitchen the startled woman practically came out of her skin. Mel glanced at the screen. It was her weasel of a manager, Wendell.

“Hey, I’m gonna need you to come in this morning.” he demanded. “Jenna quit.”

‘Shit.’

The last thing Mel felt like doing was heading to the B&G.

“What about Angela?” she offered.

“I can’t get ahold of her. I got that new girl that was supposed to start next Wednesday… but someone has to show her the ropes.”

Knowing she desperately needed the cash, Mel relented.

“K, I’ll be right in.”

“You better be.”

Click!

The screen on her phone read 5:37am. That left only 23 minutes until punch in. Lisa had already pulled an al-nighter… and that as her second shift. ‘She’ll bitch me out for sure if I’m late’ The last time Mel kept her waiting past shift she got the cold shoulder from the woman nearly two weeks.

Mel quickly washed up, then picked out some underwear and a mostly fresh uniform. Sliding into the skirt proved surprisingly easy. Pausing in her rush, Mel gave a tug to the loose elasticized waist. ‘Hmm, I guess getting sick does have some benefits’ Despite long days on her feet, a few stubborn pounds had gradually crept their way to Mel’s behind. They weren’t missed.

After slipping on some comfortable flats, Mel glanced at the wall clock. It didn’t look good. Given the morning traffic, that left only a few spare minutes. ‘Guess it’s makeup in the car again’ Snatching up her purse Mel headed to the door, but not before dashing to the kitchen table for the almost empty pack sitting there.
Stop and go traffic but no red lights left little chance for makeup other than some hastily applied lipstick, eye shadow, and some color to her cheeks. Mel peered up in her ancient Honda’s dim little mirror and pursed her lips. ‘Ewwww!’ Since when did her face look so tired and pinched?

If things weren’t better by Monday she was going back in to the doctor’s office.

Lisa met her by the time clock, looking as tired as Mel felt. She dropped her card into the machine the second Lisa stepped free. Pressing “IN” gave a satisfying;
Chunk!

Mel looked at the time; 5:59am and gave a wearied;

“Booya.”

Tami turned out to be an energetic 26yr old that picked things up quickly. This proved a life-saver as Mel felt anything but energetic this morning. After showing Tami something once, occasionally twice the girl was good to go. Mel couldn’t help but manage a weary smile at the way the new girl chatted, practically flirting with half the customers. ‘She’s a natural’ By the usual 10am slowdown Tami had charmed a healthy pile of tips out of the usually tight clientelle.

Taking a well-deserved rest, Mel sagged onto one of the back stools. Her new protégé soon followed suit. It didn’t take much priming to get the girl talking. In no time practically her life story poured out; where she grew up, her goals and college, even some hints at boyfriends past and present.

“… so this is just a hold over job until I can land something in my field.” Tami admitted.

Mel could identify with that, as it had been her plan as well. Several large media and entertainment sources were located nearby. The B&G provided a meager, yet steady source of income until Mel could get her break.

“Yeah, same here.” Mel replied.

Tami’s reaction immediate and unexpected.

“OMG! Its not that bad is it?” she replied wide-eyed. “I mean we’re like in the same field!”

Mel was just as startled. ‘Just how long does she think I’ve been here?’

“What are you talking about?" Mel demanded with a bit more emotion than intended. "I’ve only been here a few months. I got my degree last December.”

Tami visibly sagged in relief.

“Oh, I see. You had me scared there for a moment. Well, good for you, going back and getting your degree like that.”

Mel looked at her questioningly. ‘Going Back?’

Tami must have read her expression;

“Yeah, my mom did the same thing once we were out of the house. Said it felt good to finally follow her dream.”

Sitting there shocked, and frankly offended, Mel could only wonder at the girl’s comments. ‘Sure I’ve been feeling like shit lately’ The image of her reflection in the Honda’s mirror flashed before her. ‘But dammit! I’m three years younger than she is!’

Mel stood up suddenly, and felt the weight on her tired feet. Her fingers nervously twisting the towel in her hands so tightly it creaked.

“You better go check on the coffee. The mill has a break coming up and we’ll be hit with a run pretty soon.”

Tami leapt effortlessly off her own stool, nodded, then bounded off to do as she was told.
greinskyn
Transformation Master

Return to greinskyn