Tony G's

Stories, stories, stories, stories, stories, stories, STORIES!
Forum rules
* Have the story title and the author's name in the subject line.
* Story tags are always appreciated.
* If an author has a forum, make sure to post there.
* Have line breaks between paragraphs.
* If you're posting someone else's stories, give them credit.
* Don't Like, Don't Read

Tony G's

Postby Floop » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:02 pm

Tony G Prologue:

A layer of dust covered the entirety of the dimly lit room. A single light shined down from the ceiling through the glass dome carved into the wooden roof. Plastic furniture gleamed with the thin coat of gray fuzz. An older woman entered the room accompanied by a man in a dark green suit. Their mere presence stirred puffs of dull particles.
“Well as we discussed the property could use, maintenance, a good cleaning for sure” the old crone said.
The man raised his eyebrow, “I told you before, this is no concern for me. Can we be done with these formalities?”
He slicked his back with one hand and pulled out a check book from his suit pocket with the other. The man took a seat at the bar, summoning a cloud of dust. He put the pad if paper onto the table and wrote.
“This is what you want anyways right?” The black haired man waved the check like a ribbon in front of the realtor. “I know you want this commission, especially for this sinking ship of property. Expensive, damaged, “haunted”, three floors, a full restaurant and bar. Not many people would be willing to invest in a multimillion piece of property like this, let alone in a interstate town like this?”
The matron swallowed hard, an involuntary reaction. His tan face revealed a golden back tooth as he smiled. “I figured. Well if not me someone else. Take your pound of flesh.” The tall man handed the check to the petite woman. Her eyes gleamed upon reading the digits. She eagerly took and shook his hand thanking him. The gray haired woman with her head lowered pleaded “Thank you I promise you won't regret your purchase, but if you could humor me, what is it that you plan to do with this place?” The man rubbed his stubble, “I have a pretty good idea what's going to happen to this place.” The man poured two drinks the perfect clean bottle and glasses were rightfully out of place in the building. Emerald sparkling liquid poured out into two half glasses. Pushing one to the grandma next to him the green eyed man proposed a toast, “Please join me Susan. To the success of Tony G’s.” They both drank the liquid, while a wicked smile held on their faces.
CH. 1

The young brunette slumped her forehead on to the monitor. Paper bills occupied the desk leaving the hardwood any territory. Her swollen eyes accentuated from the dull glow of the screen. Leaning back she pressed her fingertips into her eyes and sighed.
“How the fuck I am supposed to pay for this degree when there’s no jobs here to use it. I could move to the city, but I don’t even have enough money to get a hotel room let alone an apartment.” She hadn’t been back from college for long but the reality of student debt had already made itself known. She could ask her parents her parents for some more money to at least pay her rent or some bills but, the embarrassment of asking a second time isn’t something Kris thought she could enure. Kris wiped the remaining moisture under her eyes and look around her room. In her mind she marked things to she could sell to make it. Her computer too valuable and how could use her art degree without her drawing tablet or her programs. Her Space sisters figures caught her eye remembering the high price they cost her at the out of state con she went to. A quick internet search crushed her dreams as a couple of Andrew Jacksons wouldn’t help much except for some much needed booze. A sparkle in the corner of the room caught her eye. On Top of her mahogany dresser was her ivory jewelry box. A gold necklace from a christmas long ago, a Sapphire promise ring from her high school, and a handful of earrings she couldn’t remember if they were real or not filled the box. A tinge of joy perked up her left lip, this could be it who knows if how much this is all worth. Throwing a black crop top over her slender frame, she grabbed the box and headed out.

Ch.2
Walking down maple street one of Bookington’s five paved roads she felt the heat radiate off the pavement. While almost everyone from her old Alma Matter had teased her about being from a “Hick Town”, Bookington was far from it. On her way to the pawn shop she passed a handful of restaurants, “Porky’s diner” a town favorite, an antique store “Finders Keepers”, the local cinema theater “The Star” still two months behind on new releases, the crossfit gym/yoga studio “Cardio Universe” and “Purity Yoga”. Her vacation to europe had exhausted most of her funds and time since leaving school and she spent most her time in the neighbouring town of Redberry with her friends Michel and Rebecca so she hadn’t been downtown in a long time. Coming onto the pawn shop she noticed yellow tape and panicked. Her pace quickened as she approached the three story building. To her horror, the building was dark. Wooden panels covered the windows. The signs on the front and the side had been painted over in white. Cursing under her breath she kicked the air around her out of frustration.
“Hold on there young lady, don't want to hurt yourself.” The raspy voice said. Kris turned around to see a old man in a apron sweeping the sidewalk. “Seems to me your’e disappointed about something over there. When UE decided to build a factory here for five thousand jobs every who-ha and big wig wanted property around here well the getting was good. Only one of em actually got a shovel in the ground and put that building up.”
“Yeah I remember, between that asian fusion restaurant, the spa, and nightclub this place was the piece of civilization in this dump.” Kris explained.
“Hold yer tongue their missy I’ve lived in Bookington for over seventy years nothing wrong with a quiet life here. Anyways somtime last year when UE pulled their building bid out, that hot shot closed everything down saw him leave in a huff saying all sorts of nasty stuff. Been closed down ever since. ”
“Ugh.” Kris was disgusted. Her one chance to get some fast cash ruined.
“Need a drink my boys at the bar, everyone is welcomed at the Tap Room.” The old man smiled a toothy smile as he pushed his arm to open the door behind him.
“Can’t you see I’m in an existential crisis? You Old people I swear.” Kris saw how the man’s face changed. “I’m sorry sir I didn’t mean to in…” Before she could finish her apology the man was gone. The air left Kris’s body. She shoulced down against the condemned building and looked up longingly. Her eyes were met with a yellow paper pinned to the wooded window above her. Grabbing the sheet she brought it down and began to read. Help wanted, see inside, sign-on bonus. She didn’t go to school for four years to do some minimal labor a high school dropout could do, but what other options were there? Humiliation by employment or humiliation by her parents, she chose the first.
Floop

Return to Stories