More Like Monkey's Paw, amirite?

Stories, stories, stories, stories, stories, stories, STORIES!
Forum rules
* Have the story title and the author's name in the subject line.
* Story tags are always appreciated.
* If an author has a forum, make sure to post there.
* Have line breaks between paragraphs.
* If you're posting someone else's stories, give them credit.
* Don't Like, Don't Read

More Like Monkey's Paw, amirite?

Postby Theacds » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:24 pm

"Alright," A young woman ordered, her voice muffled from the lamp's walls. "Let's see what we've got."

Oh? New master? Mistress? Whatever. Not like it matters all that much anyway.

"Actually, it's standard protocol for them to have a title."

Shut up, it doesn't even--wait, there's a standard protocol?

"Yes. Several volumes."

Bullshit. We're floating in a pocket plane until someone rubs a lamp! We do not have a standard protocol.

"So do we rub this lamp?" A higher pitched voice asked, the walls rumbling with each tap on the metallic shell. "Or... what?"

"Well, if you'd bothered to read up on it, you'd know when I'm lying and when I'm not. Now, attend to the new hosts!"

Alright, alright! Geez, you sound like my mother.

"They're calling!"

Groaning, Marian snapped her fingers and the world blurred around her. She dashed and rushed through space as colors and light flashed around at breakneck speeds, yawning a bit. Momentarily, she arrived in a small-ish room, before two crouched humans. The lamp she rose from seeped out purple mist, the details of her humanoid body unblurred as her last outfit--a bear skin coat and several pelt pieces--materialized onto her body. Light dimmed, the wind died down, and Marian cracked her neck.

"Alright," She began, getting a good look at the boy and girl before her. "What's your wish?"

"Standard protocol!" The voice chided, and Marian had to bite her lip to hold fro shouting back, the telepathic link limited to one-way mental messages whilst in physical form.

"Genie!" A young woman cried, throwing her hands up.

The first human was a girl about 22, looking a little over six feet tall with well defined muscles. She had pretty standard looking equipment, but it was a lot nicer than the last soldier she'd dealt with. Perhaps it'd been two hundred years? Either way, this woman's eyes were locked with hers, unwavering and hungry.

"Grant me my desires, as was foretold by the ancient legends!"

Oh, ancient legends. Probably more than two hundred years. The groan died in her throat before she snapped to the boy.

Next to the warrior looked to be a young man barely out of basic training, armed with nothing but a hefty looking book, stupid looking glasses, and a satchel. Not the strongest, but not as weak as she'd expected from a short, fresh faced recruit. He had dark brown eyes, soft brown hair, light brown skin, and a bit of a slouch. He kept looking over his shoulder and tapping his foot, and, if Marian was honest with herself, that cute, uncertain air worked for him. Not that she was sizing him up, but, if she were, he'd be at least an 8 out of 10.

"Well," Marian began, looking between the two potential hosts. "Before that, I have one question for you, miss..."

"You may refer to me by my title." The woman began, gesturing dramatically. Widening her eyes and standing tall, she cried, a grin plastered across her face, "Herald of silence, voice of (my God, how do I spell that?), and judger of souls, Carrion the Immortal!"

"Judger isn't a word." Marian and the boy countered simultaneously.

Marian blinked. Turning to the boy, she tilted her head and glanced at the short kid out of the corner of her eyes. "That was weird."

"I swear to God, I'm going to devour your entire body." Carry growled, glaring daggers at the young man.

Marian shook her head and floated down from the fog to the ground. "Look, I'm just gonna call you Carry, because I'm kind of on a time crun--"

"Mistress Carry."

"Alright! Fine!" The smoke turned a bright red, and there was a flash and a crash. "Whatever!"

"She..." The boy whined, taking a pause to gulp and shiver while the smoke returned to a cool purple. "She didn't say anything...!"

"H-Huh?" Marian turned back, the smoke fading back to purple. "Right." Marian sighed. "Sorry about that, I have a voice in my head."

"Oh-ho... kay....!" The young man laughed, his shoulders tense as he took a step back. "Well, I'll just leave you..." Trailing off, Marian followed his glance to find that where Carry once stood there was now a pile of her gear. "Wh... Wha...?"

"Hello, Brady~!" A girl singsonged as she entered, flanked by two rather bulky looking orcish guards. She looked a little older, a little taller, and a little heavier than Brady, but with a flowing white dress and parasol that shouted: Give Me Attention! Please! Give Me Attention!

"Oh, God, please, no!" Brady shouted, stumbling backward into Marian's arms.

"Hello, Genie, you may refer to me as Lady Songbird." Lady Songbird extended a dainty hand as she gently twirled her parasol. Shrugging, Marian gently lets down the young man and obliges the rich looking punk. "You'll be dealing with me, now, and, whenever you're ready, I'd like to make my wishes."

"If you don't mind," Marian began, drifting back to her lamp and taking a seat next to the shivering and shaking Brady. "I have several questions."

Lady Songbird giggled, tilting her head down and smirking. "Well, I'm sure you do."

"First question: what's that supposed to mean?"

Lady Songbird brushed a lock of white hair out of her face and blinked her blue eyes innocently. "Oh, nothing substantial, miss..."

"Marian. Now, second question: who are you?"

"Lady Songbird, sole heir to the Songbird fortune, aspiring artist, politician, and soon to be ruler of the five empires." She did a little curtsy after finishing, and looked a tad displeased at the silence that followed after. "Any more questions, miss Marian?"

"Uh... yeah." Marian cleared her throat. "Third question: did you make that Carrion, killer-woman-girl disappear?"

"Oh, is that her clothing on the ground?" Lady Songbird giggled once again, this time grinning a little darkly. "Wonderful!"

"According to standard protocol, you can choose which person gets the wishes."

"Alright, last question:" Marian turned to Brady, then back to the light skinned aristocrat. "How do you know this kid?"

"Well, I--"

"She's been following me for three days!" Brady cried, raising a shaky finger. "She kidnapped my boyfriend, and she stole all my stuff, and she said she's holding my family hostage, and...! A-And...!"

Once again following the boy's line of sight, Marian looked past Lady Songbird and found a cloaked, shimmering figure standing ready to brawl.

"I..." The figure rasped, ghostly blades appearing in its bandaged hands. Anywhere that thing wasn't covered by the cloak, it was bandaged. "Am...!"

"Going to shut up so I can explain what's going to happen with my wishes before any more of you idiots show up!" Marian cried, floating to her feet. "I have three wishes to distribute, and I get to choose who I make this pact with. So I'm going to ask each of you one question, and, whoever's answer I like most, I'll grant the Genie's boon."

"I..." The ghostly figure began, looking from Lady Songbird to Brady to Marian. "Am a little lost."

"You and me both, buddy, now what's your deal?" Marian sighed, folding her arms and floating through Lady Songbird.

"I come from another plane of existence and am looking for stolen artifacts sacred to my people." The creature spoke, its voice echoing from seemingly every corner of Marian's mind. "If you can assist, I would be very appreciative."

"I'll consider it." Marian floated back to her lamp and kneeled before Brady. "What about you, Brady? What're you doing here?"

"M-My friends and I w-were trying to find your lamp, and w-w-we were each gonna m-make a wish each! And... And...!" The young man sniffled, breaking off as tears rolled down his cheek.

"Alright, alright," Marian comforted awkwardly, patting the young man's shoulders. "I'll just... come back to you."

"Am I going now, Marian?" Lady Songbird batted her eyelashes.

Marian sighed, already annoyed at the woman's disingenuous saccharine shtick. "Yeah, you know the deal. Let's hear it."

"Well, my fiance Brady eloped and, after tracking him down, I found he'd been close to finding a magical being capable of granting three desires unconditionally." Lady Songbird opened, closing her parasol and handing it to one of her bodyguards. "So, after about a week of tracking and hi-jinks, I'd managed to acquire his lover, gathered data on Brady's parents, pulled some strings with the local orc populace, and attracted the attention of a radical religious group claiming the purification of the corrupt."

"Thanks, I..." Marian gently clicked her tongue a couple times as she mentally pieced this puzzle together. "Needed that."

"Well?" The ghost figure thing asked, folding its arms and gently tapping its foot. "Who is to be granted your boon?"

"It seems the boy is our best bet for--"

"If you side with me, I'll grant you freedom with the last wish." Lady Songbird smirked, turning up her nose and grinning.

"Lady Songbird it is!"

Marian looked from Brady to Lady Songbird to the ghostly figure. "Uh..."
Someone sent me a note on DeviantART sayin' they missed me, so if there's somehow any fans out there I wanna let you know I'm writing all sorts of cracy shit at https://www.deviantart.com/theacds !!
Theacds
Transformation Master

Return to Stories