Dropping Out (ar, college professor to Hooters waitress)

Stories, stories, stories, stories, stories, stories, STORIES!
Forum rules
* Have the story title and the author's name in the subject line.
* Story tags are always appreciated.
* If an author has a forum, make sure to post there.
* Have line breaks between paragraphs.
* If you're posting someone else's stories, give them credit.
* Don't Like, Don't Read

Dropping Out (ar, college professor to Hooters waitress)

Postby EvitaReginae » Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:11 pm

Dropping Out
By EvitaReginae

Part 1

Dr. Melinda Johnson gazed out of her cluttered office window, her eyes tracing the bustling campus below. A stack of ungraded papers lay untouched on her desk, a testament to her distracted state of mind. The walls, adorned with plaques and certificates, seemed to mock her current predicament. Once a celebrated educator, she now felt a growing chasm between herself and her students.

The door creaked open, and a young teaching assistant, Sarah, stepped in. “Dr. Johnson, do you have a minute?”

Melinda turned, offering a weary smile. “Of course, Sarah. What's on your mind?”

Sarah hesitated, shifting her weight. “It's about your lectures... Some students feel they're a bit outdated.”

Melinda felt a sting at those words. “Outdated?” she echoed, her voice a mix of surprise and hurt.

“Yes,” Sarah continued gently. “They respect you, but they think your methods aren't engaging enough for today's environment.”

Melinda sank into her chair, her mind racing. Had she really lost touch? She had prided herself on being a dynamic, inspiring teacher. “I see,” she murmured, her thoughts clouded with doubt.

Just then, a knock interrupted their conversation. A student, Jake, popped his head in. “Dr. Johnson, can I talk to you about the assignment? I'm really struggling to understand it.”

Melinda forced a smile, pushing her own concerns aside. “Of course, Jake. Come in. Let's figure this out together.”

As Jake explained his confusion, Melinda listened intently. It wasn't just about the assignment; it was a window into the minds of her students. She realized she had been teaching engineering the same way for years, without adapting to the changing times.

After Jake left, Melinda turned to Sarah. “I need to change, don't I?”

Sarah nodded. “Maybe it's time to try something new. The students need to feel more involved, more connected.”

Determined, Melinda stood up. “Then that's what I'll do. It's time to embrace a new challenge. Can you help me, Sarah?”

Sarah's face lit up with enthusiasm. “Absolutely, Dr. Johnson! Let's brainstorm some ideas together.”

As they delved into a lively discussion, Melinda felt a spark of excitement ignite within her. She might have lost touch, but she was more than ready to bridge that gap. It was time to learn from her students as much as they learned from her.

Melinda's quest led her to the bustling corridors of the university, where she sought insight from her colleagues. In the bustling faculty lounge, she encountered Dr. Henry Liu, a renowned physicist known for his eccentric inventions.

"Dr. Liu, I'm looking for ways to connect better with my students," Melinda began, her voice tinged with hope.

Dr. Liu, peering over his spectacles, replied, "Ah, Melinda, I might have something that could help. I've been working on an experimental device – an age-changing remote. It can revert someone to a younger state, both physically and mentally."

Melinda's eyes widened. "Really? That sounds... incredible. But is it safe?"

"Absolutely," Dr. Liu assured her. "It's been tested, though not extensively in real-world scenarios. Are you thinking of using it?"

A flurry of thoughts raced through Melinda's mind. Could this be the key to understanding her students better? "Yes, I am. Could you help me use it?"

With Dr. Liu's guidance, Melinda arranged for Sarah to take over her classes temporarily. She explained to Sarah the extraordinary plan, and though initially incredulous, Sarah agreed to assist.

The day of the transformation, Melinda stood nervously in Dr. Liu's lab. Surrounded by whirring machines and blinking lights, she held the remote in her trembling hands.

"Are you ready?" Dr. Liu asked, his voice calm and reassuring.

Taking a deep breath, Melinda nodded. "Yes, let's do this."

She pressed the button, and a warm, tingling sensation enveloped her. In moments, the world seemed to grow larger around her as she physically regressed to her college years. Her thoughts, too, began to shift, a youthful energy and perspective flooding her mind.

As she looked into the mirror, a young woman stared back, brimming with the vibrancy and curiosity of youth.

"Oh my gosh!" Melinda said looking in the mirror. "I look like I'm 19 again. Was I always this cute?"

She spun around in front of the mirror admiring herself, though she was disappointed with her outfit. It was so boring! Why was she dressed like some 40-something professor instead of the cute girl she was!

"Don't forget why you're doing this," Sarah said.

"Yeah, yeah!" Melinda said. "I know I'm totally older or whatever." But now that she thought about it, she couldn't remember how old she really was. Was she a grad student like Sarah?

Whatever, that wasn't important! The important thing was that Melinda was young and full of energy, and couldn't wait to start hanging out with the other college kids her age!

Sarah shifted uneasily. She couldn't see much of her old mentor in the teenage girl standing in front of her, and she whispered her concerns to Dr. Liu.

"Don't worry, it's completely reversible," he said. "Once she learns what she needs to to connect with the youth, bring her back and I'll have her back at her original age in no time."

Sarah was a little uncertain about that, but she had to admit she was curious to see how the doctor's experiment was going to go.

So the two girls left, and Sarah couldn't believe how much energy Melinda seemed to have.

Sarah tried to strike up a conversation, to pick Melinda's brain, but all Melinda seemed to care about was cute outfits and boys.

The transformation was more profound than anyone had anticipated. Melinda, now youthful and exuberant, was a stark contrast to her former self. She radiated energy and an eagerness to explore her new identity.

As they walked across the campus, Melinda's eyes darted excitedly from one sight to another. "Look at all these styles, Sarah! We should totally go shopping. I need to update this look," she exclaimed, tugging at her professorial attire with a playful grimace.

Sarah nodded, trying to keep up with Melinda's brisk pace and bubbling enthusiasm. "Sure, Melinda. But remember, the goal is to understand the students, their challenges, and how you can better connect with them."

Melinda waved a hand dismissively, her mind clearly on other things. "Yeah, yeah, I got it. But first, I need to blend in, right? Can't do that looking like a history teacher from the '90s."

As they passed a group of students, Melinda's attention was instantly captured. "Oh, look at them! They seem so cool. I wonder what they're talking about. Do you think they'll notice me?"

Sarah observed with a mixture of amusement and concern. Melinda was diving headfirst into her new persona, perhaps too effectively. The serious, award-winning educator was now a bubbly teenager, more concerned with fashion and socializing than pedagogy.

Despite her reservations, Sarah decided to support Melinda's journey, hoping that this immersive experience would yield the insights Melinda sought. She guided Melinda to a local boutique, where Melinda gleefully tried on various trendy outfits, each transformation bringing a delighted squeal.

After an afternoon of shopping and mingling with students, the pair sat at a campus café. Melinda was buzzing with stories about the people they had met, her eyes sparkling with excitement.

Sarah, however, couldn't help but voice her concerns. "Melinda, are you sure you're focusing on the right things? Remember why you're doing this."

Melinda paused, a spoonful of ice cream halfway to her mouth. "Oh, right. The teaching thing. I'll get to that. But right now, I'm just enjoying being young again. It's so freeing, Sarah!"

Sarah nodded, unsure how to guide this new version of Dr. Johnson. She hoped that in time, Melinda would find the balance between experiencing youth and gaining the insights she needed to reconnect with her students.

As they finished their desserts, Sarah couldn't help but wonder how this adventure would unfold and what lessons Melinda would bring back to her classroom - if she remembered to come back at all.

Part 2

The next day, Melinda woke up in her apartment and groaned as she turned off her alarm. Ugh, another day of school.

Wait, wasn't it her first day of school in a while?

Well, it didn't feel like it. Still, she had cute outfits from yesterday, and she was excited to get to know the students her age.

She slipped on her outfit, which looked less like what a student should wear and more like she was going out for a party, and she walked to school.

Sarah had printed out her new schedule, and she was curious to see what challenges she would experience being a teenager again.

When Melinda walked in to her first class, Calculus, she smiled when she saw the way a few boys looked at her and her outfit. Being a teenager was going to be a cakewalk!

She sized up the room, and found the girl who clearly had the best fashion sense. Melinda said hi, and soon the two girls were chatting animatedly about fashion.

"Oh my gosh, Melinda," the girl said. "You're a riot! You have to come to my party tonight."

The professor at the front of the room, an old man with greying hair, coughed to announce the start of class.

Melinda didn't really care about what he was saying. She thought that the party her new friend had just mentioned was much more interesting, and she was thinking about all the clothes she would wear and debating different ways to do make up.

Melinda's first day as a teenager was unfolding with all the excitement and distractions of youth. Her newfound enthusiasm for socializing and fashion overshadowed her original mission of understanding her students' perspectives.

As the calculus class droned on, Melinda found herself doodling in her notebook, her thoughts wandering to the party later that night. The complexities of calculus seemed trivial compared to the thrilling challenge of picking the perfect outfit for the evening.

Throughout the day, Melinda floated from class to class, her mind more on social interactions than on the lessons. She quickly became popular, her outgoing personality and keen fashion sense drawing others to her. The academic side of college life, which had once been her domain, now took a backseat to the vibrant social scene she was exploring.

At lunch, Melinda sat with her new friends, discussing the latest trends and gossip. She reveled in the attention, feeling a sense of belonging that she hadn't experienced in years. The conversations were light and carefree, a stark contrast to the scholarly discussions she was accustomed to.

As the day came to an end, Melinda prepared for the party with a giddy excitement. She chose her outfit with meticulous care, wanting to make the best impression. As she admired herself in the mirror, she barely recognized the reflection staring back at her. Gone was the seasoned educator, replaced by a lively teenager eager to experience the night.

At the party, Melinda was the center of attention. She danced, laughed, and chatted with ease, fully immersing herself in the youthful atmosphere. The night was a whirlwind of fun and laughter, a far cry from her usual evenings of grading papers and preparing lectures.

In the morning, Melinda groaned and realized she wasn't in her own bed. She looked beside her, and saw one of the college's star football players laying next to her.

Memories of last night came flodding back to her.

She had had a lot of fun, but maybe she shouldn't have partied so hard.

Melinda slipped her clothes on, and tried to sneak back to her apartment without anyone seeing her. Unfortunately, someone did.

"Doctor Johnson!" Sarah said. "Thank goodness, I was looking for you everywhere. I was so worried when you weren't at your apartment."

"Who's Doctor Johnson," Melinda giggled. "I'm just Melinda. Melinda Peters."

Sarah looked strangely at her. "Don't you remember your mission? And why is your hair so messy..."

Melinda crossed her arms defensively. "What are you, my mom? I'm a college student! I'm supposed to be having fun."

"You're *supposed* to be understanding the perspective of the students you have to teach," Sarah said.

Melinda rolled her eyes. "I'm learning all about the students or whatever. Stop being a buzz kill!"

And with that, Melinda stomped off to take a shower and get dressed in her apartment. What did stupid Sarah know anyways?

Sarah, for her part was starting to get worried. There was none of the brilliant doctor who had mentored her in this version of Melinda... Maybe she would have to find a way to bring it out.

"For today's class," Sarah said. "I want you all to teach us a little bit about something. I know this is an engineering class, but a big part of any profession is explaining what you know. I'm going to call on some of you at random, and you'll stand up here and give an extemporaneous speech to the class about whatever topic you're interested in. First up, why don't we do... Melinda the new girl?"

Sarah was pointing at Melinda. Melinda had never felt so betrayed. Why was she picking on her? She couldn't teach a whole class with zero preparation.

Melinda walked up to the front of the class, and tried to clear her head. But she was so nervous, she almost felt like she wanted to throw up.

Melinda stood at the front of the class, her heart pounding. The confident, carefree girl from the party was gone, replaced by a nervous teenager faced with a daunting task. She looked out at the sea of expectant faces, her mind racing for something to say.

"Um, hi everyone," she stammered. "I'm Melinda... Peters." She hesitated, unsure of how to proceed. The room was silent, waiting.

She tried to focus, to tap into the wealth of knowledge she possessed as Dr. Johnson, but it felt distant, almost unreachable. Her experience as a professor seemed like a faded memory, obscured by the fog of her new, youthful persona.

"I... I wanted to talk about... um..." Melinda's voice trailed off. She glanced at Sarah, hoping for some hint of support, but Sarah's expression was unreadable.

Melinda stood there, feeling a sense of panic rising within her. The classroom, once her realm of confidence and control, now felt like an alien landscape. She struggled to find her words, her mind blanking under the pressure.

"I... I think..." Melinda's voice faltered. The silence in the room was palpable, each second stretching out painfully. The students' faces, once friendly and welcoming, now seemed to scrutinize her every move.

She tried to recall anything from her vast expertise in education, any nugget of wisdom she could share, but it was as if a barrier stood between her current self and her years of experience and knowledge.

Suddenly, a wave of emotion overcame her. The reality of her situation, the enormity of what she had lost in her pursuit to reconnect with her students, hit her like a tidal wave. Tears welled up in her eyes as she realized she couldn't do this – not as Melinda Peters, the teenager.

"I'm sorry," she whispered, her voice breaking. The room remained silent, a mixture of confusion and concern on the students' faces.

Melinda rushed out of the classroom, tears streaming down her face. She felt embarrassed, lost, and utterly overwhelmed. In her quest to understand her students, she had lost herself.

Sarah wanted to go and comfort her, but she still had a class to teach. So she texted Melinda something, and continued the class calling up another student. Sarah frowned. This wasn't how she wanted it to go. She had wanted to remind Melinda of her amazing skills as an educator, and her passion for teaching. She wanted to recenter her on her goal of learning what students go through.

After class finished up, Sarah called Melinda.

"I don't want to talk," she shouted, and then hung up.

Sarah kept calling, and eventually, Melinda answered.

"Why'd you do that!" Melinda said. "I hate talking in front of people. And I don't have anything worth teaching a whole class."

"Melinda, I'm sorry, I-I was trying to help." Sarah said.

"Well, stop helping!" Melinda shouted back. "I'm just trying to live my life."

And with that Sarah was left holding her phone.

Melinda hated school. She was down in the dumps the rest of the day, even though all of her friends were sympathetic.

Eventually, a girl named Stacy said to her, "Hey, you know what always cheers me up?"

Melinda shook her head.

"Tattoos!"

Melinda's eyes widened. "You can't be serious. Those are permenent."

Stacie showed off her legs and arm, where she had flowers and a pokemon.

"Don't knock it 'til you try it."

Melinda thought about it, and then she smiled. Yeah! A tattoo was going to be the perfect way to take her mind off of all of this.

"Let's do it," Melinda said with a newfound spark in her eyes. "Why not? It could be fun."

Stacy's face lit up with excitement. "Awesome! I know a great place. They do amazing work."

The two set off to the tattoo parlor, chatting and laughing along the way. Melinda felt a surge of adrenaline as they entered the shop, the sound of tattoo guns buzzing in the background.

As she flipped through the design books, Melinda felt a mix of excitement and nervousness. She finally settled on a small, elegant design — something that symbolized freedom and new beginnings.

The tattoo artist prepared his equipment, and Melinda braced herself for the needle. As the tattoo took shape, she felt a sense of empowerment. This was her choice, her statement.

After it was done, Melinda admired her new tattoo in the mirror. It was a beautiful piece of art, and she felt a sense of pride. For a moment, she forgot her worries and the confusion of her identity.

An alternate continuation from her:

After it was done, Melinda admired her new tattoo in the mirror. It was a beautiful piece of art, and she felt a sense of pride. For a moment, she forgot her worries and the confusion of her identity.

In the morning, Stacy was alarmed to see the new tattoo on Melinda's arm.

"No! You can't do that," Stacy said. "What are you going to say when you're mind is back to normal."

Melinda was getting more and more annoyed at Stacy. "God, you're just the worst. When I'm back to normal, I'm going to think this was awesome, because I love my new tattoo and I love all the new friends I'm making."

"But, it's like you've forgotten about why you became a student again. Do you really understand what they're going through?"

"Ugh, who cares?" Melinda said. "I'm having fun, and that's what matters. School is stupid anyways, I should probably just quit."

And with that she left, Stacy chasing after her without success.

Melinda felt so free, realizing she could just cut classes. Why did any of that matter anyways?

She had already learned it (not that she could remember any of it), so it seemed pointless to focus on academics.

No, she wanted to do something more worth her time.

So she was out wandering, looking for a way to have fun when she stumbled across a Hooters. She paused outside of it. Did she really want to be a grad student when she was turned back? (Or whatever it was she had once been?)

Maybe using this as an opportunity to have fun would be worth her while.

She walked in and asked for an application.

As she filled out the application, a sense of exhilaration mixed with uncertainty washed over her. This was a stark departure from her life as an academic, yet she felt an odd sense of liberation in exploring paths she never would have considered before.

Melinda handed in her application and left the establishment, her mind a whirlwind of thoughts. She wandered through the streets, lost in her reflections. The excitement of living as a carefree teenager was undeniable, but deep down, a part of her couldn't shake off the feeling that she was straying too far from who she truly was.

As she walked, her thoughts kept returning to her conversation with Stacy. Was she really understanding the student experience, or was she just using this opportunity to escape the pressures and expectations of her academic life? The more she thought about it, the more she realized that she might be missing the point of her experiment.

Melinda sat down on a bench, watching students passing by, laughing and chatting. She remembered her purpose – to bridge the gap between herself and her students, to understand their world and their challenges. But had she really been doing that, or had she just been indulging in a fantasy?

The realization hit her hard. She needed to refocus, to remember why she had embarked on this journey in the first place. It wasn't just about being young again; it was about gaining insights to become a better educator, to connect with her students on a deeper level.

With a newfound resolve, Melinda decided it was time to make a change. She needed to balance her youthful experiences with her mission. She had to find a way to re-engage with her academic side while keeping the fresh perspective she had gained.

Melinda stood up, her mind clearer than it had been in days. She was determined to make the most of her unique situation, to learn and grow, not just as a student but as an educator and a person. The journey ahead was uncertain, but she was ready to face it with a renewed sense of purpose.

Part 3

The next day, Sarah was knocking on Melinda's apartment like there was no tomorrow.

"Ugh, go away!" Melinda said, answering the door.

"What the heck are you wearing?" Sarah said in alarm, looking at her orange and white Hooters uniform.

"Don't worry about it," Melinda said.

"No, I'm worried. This experiment is over, now!" she roughly grabbed Melinda's arm, and forced her to get into her car.

"Hey, I'm going to be late for work!" Melinda said.

"That doesn't matter," Sarah said. "This isn't you, you're a talented educator not... this!"

Melinda grumbled. She didn't want to go back to whatever she had once been.

If she had been the mentor to this busybody, she was pretty sure whoever she was had sucked!

But then Melinda had a wonderful idea.

When they arrived at Dr. Liu's lab, Sarah took Melinda to him and explained the situation.

But as Sarah was explaining the situation, Melinda grabbed the age-changing remote and pointed it at Sarah.

Sarah went from a confident grad student, to a shy and meek 18 year old just out of high school.

"Sarah?" Dr. Liu said.

"I'm, uh, sorry for b-bothering you," Sarah said.

But Melinda wasn't done. She pointed the age-changing remote at Dr. Liu and turned him into a 19 year old.

Then Melinda started doing a dance for the new teenage boy. With a teenage mind, and teenage hormones flowing through him making him unable to resist her.

Henry could barely control himself with a girl dancing in front of him.

"You like that?" Melinda said. "Well, why don't you come to my work. I'm a Hooters girl now."

Henry shivered, and nodded at the impressive girl.

Melinda turned to Sarah, "See how easy it is to wrap a guy around your finger? You're a cute girl, and I can teach you my ways. Join me at Hooters and you'll become the confident young woman you were always meant to be."

Sarah was tempted by Melinda's offer. Sarah had always focused on her minds, on academics. Her body, though attractive, had always been something she had tried to hide under thick sweaters and forget about.

But seeing Melinda there, in her Hooters uniform, Sarah wanted her confidence.

Epilogue

Melinda was banging on Sarah's door. Melinda was already dressed in her Hooters uniform.

"Come on, Sarah! We can't be late again," she said.

Melinda heard shuffling, and then Sarah answered.

"Oh, I see why you weren't up, another late night with Henry?" Melinda teased.

Sarah smiled. "I mean, the first time it was just a little fun. Helping the nerdy virgin with his first time. But, like, he's actually gotten really good lately."

"Whatever," Melinda said. "We have to get to work."

As they drove to another day of being ogled by horny men, while serving wings, Melinda had to admit that she loved her life. Her and Sarah were two sexy young women with their whole lives ahead of them. Who cared about school and students - this was the true youthful experience right here!
EvitaReginae

Return to Stories